Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help replacing Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:02 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help replacing Fuel Tank

I've got a 03' HSE w/46K on it. I got home from camping this weekend and my wife pointed out a strong gasoline odor in our garage. After identifying the source (disco), I crawled under to inspect. It seems there is a small puncture in the front right corner of the tank, and its releasing about a drip every two or three seconds. Interestingly enough, I'm not sure how it got there, as it's never leaked on me before, and I've driven only on pavement for the past couple thousand miles (with the exception of the gravel/worn pavement/dirt campground road).

Two things;

1) Does anybody know where I can get a fuel tank for a great price...used is fine (no junk yards I can find seem to have them, found one on Ebay for $149 plus shipping from a dealer, and one for $300 from roverparts)?

2) Has anybody got any clue how difficult replacing the tank is, andis there a write up of the process involved/necessary steps?

I thought I heard somewhere that a person could basically "patch" their tank too, any truth to this? I've searched the forum archives here and at discoweb and haven’t found much...any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help replacing Fuel Tank

I've seen patch kits in the UK. Using a cloth patch & some sort of resin. I've also seen people just put a self tapping screw in a rust hole ina fuel tank then put some sort of epoxy around &over that. I'm not recomending any of these solutions just a couple of ideas. You'll need to drain thetank so you can get the area around the leak dry & free of grease residue sowhat ever bondingagent you use will stick & seal tight.They might work as a temporary solution?If I could get a fresh tank in good condition for $150 I'd sooner do that myself.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Beware of the quick fixes. If the fix fails and the truck burns, your insurance company can and will cancel any coverage and then you do have problems.
Are you sure it is a puncture and not a leaking seam? You have either a state or federal gas tank warranty if it is considered to be a failure. Your other option is to go to , http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....TS&Category=82
great prices and the tank will be clean and warrantied.
Mike

Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Discomike,

I'm pretty certain it's a puncture, as the bottom front right corner is "crushed" in a bit where it's leaking from. I'd prefer to replace the tank rather than to perform a fix, so I think that's the route I'll take. Any idea how difficult it is to drop the tank and stick a new one in there?