Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on replacing coolant tank/expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question on replacing coolant tank/expansion tank

The coolant tank/expansion reservoir for my 2003 Discovery II arrived yesterday.

I checked the posts in the forum and couldn't find one that showed how to replace the tank. The closest one I could find was how Rover_Hokie showed removed the tank from its brackets and hanged the tank using bungie cords.

My question is how do you replace it? Do you simply detach the two hoses, try to spill as little as possible of the coolant from the old tank, re-attach the hoses to the new tank, and refill the coolant? Do I need to worry about trapping air inside the coolant system? If yes, how do I "burp" the coolant system?

While I'm servicing this component, is there anything I should be doing?

Thanks a million!

Al
'03 D2 SE7

Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A. Post in D2 forum area, more skilled eyeballs may see it and be motivated to respond.

B. At same time, if coolant is over two years old, or unknown age, or Dexcool, drain it all, by loosening a hose on the radiator, flush and replace with 50/50 premix, Peak is a good brand. Anything that says Dexcool should be avoided.

C. Rover Hokie method is good. The bleeder valve is on the T of the radiator hose. Leave bleeder open until steady stream comes out, don't stop at first dribble, there is more air behind that.

D. Don't break any lines going to tank, which may be brittle. There are more than two lines, see attached plumbing plan.

E. Goal is no overheating, and no sounds of water rushing under the dash.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow.pdf (724.2 KB, 522 views)