Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with roof leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mines doing the same thing. It's pretty common. I have to drop the headliner board anyways to have the material replaced so just been living with it for now. Another thing to check is the drains for the A/C. when ever I had mine on I would end up soaking the passenger floor, a quick jab in each drain tube from under the truck solved that issue.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:20 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinstalling New Moonroof. Drain tube help

I have finally gotten around to fixing my leak (and non-functioning front moonroof) It turns out a drain tube broke off the front moonroof (no surprise after reading these posts for months) and I had water soaking the headliner above the steering wheel. I have a new moon roof kit. I removed the headliner (contemplating painting it). I have removed the old moonroof and hooked up the new moonroof to verify the ECU, switch, and motor work. No problems there. And the install of the new moonroof looks very straight forward. EXCEPT I am having a hard time figuring out how to get the new drain tubes down the A pillar. Any tips? The RAVE instructs removing the drain tubes from the moonroof. My new moonroof came with the drains already attached. I am thinking about running a wire up under the disco and pulling the tube down with it.

Any Tips?

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I just fixed one a few weeks ago, where water would drip at the Right Front corner of the headliner.

I lowered the headliner and water wasn't coming from the sunroof cassette or drain tubes. Instead, I traced it back to the passenger outside drip rail. Its the thin piece of metal right above the doors that act like a gutter. The inside of of the rail is filled with seam sealer and then painted. On this particular vehicle, the seam sealer shrank and pulled away from the edge of the rail allowing water to make its way inside through the roof seams.

I cut out some of the old seam sealer and used a clear seam sealer to fill in the void. Sorry, no pictures. I didn't anticipate on sharing my story when I did the repair.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 PM
4wd Low

I fixed mine yesterday. Ended up being a bad seal on the little box that is silicone to the sunroof frame that the drain tube connects to. I wad able to lower the visor and handle and map holder and pull the headliner down enough to reseal the box and it rained cats and dogs and no leaking. First $5 fix on the rover to date. Let's see how long it will hold up.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM
3rd Gear
Default Everything installed

I ended up painting my headliner black and it looks great. I had a bad sunroof motor, 2 leaking sunroof collector boxes, and leak from the driver's side gutter rail into my windshield seal. All is fixed and water tested. I have everything dried out, cleaned, and I am ready to re-install my interior. Dropping the headliner was not very difficult, but I want to avoid doing it again in the future if possible. So, I want to do a little preventative maintenance on the sunroof collector boxes and tray and reseal them. I have seen a couple other posts mentioning not to use silicone to do this. I successfully fixed my windshield leak with a little RTV. I was thinking black sealant adhesive RTV on the sunroof collector boxes too. Has anyone had any success with resealing the boxes to the tray? Or will silicone work?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 PM
3rd Gear
Default Did you remove it first?

Originally Posted by DUBLJDISCO2
I fixed mine yesterday. Ended up being a bad seal on the little box that is silicone to the sunroof frame that the drain tube connects to. I wad able to lower the visor and handle and map holder and pull the headliner down enough to reseal the box and it rained cats and dogs and no leaking. First $5 fix on the rover to date. Let's see how long it will hold up.
DUBLJDDISCO2 did you cut the box out, clean off the old sealant and reattach with silicone? Or did you just apply sealant from the underside around the existing connection? Did you use silicone?

Thank you!

Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DUBLJDISCO2 I'd be interested in knowing what material you used - silicone? epoxy?

I'm taking mine down this weekend.

-Anthony

Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by MIdisco1980
DUBLJDDISCO2 did you cut the box out, clean off the old sealant and reattach with silicone? Or did you just apply sealant from the underside around the existing connection? Did you use silicone?

Thank you!
It was a 2 part epoxy putty called steel. I did clean the silicone off but did not remove the box. The space is tight. I did not want to remove the wnole head liner. It's workin.g for now as far as I can see.