Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Runnig Rough Sluggish -- CEL

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Runnig Rough Sluggish -- CEL

EDIT: Just got back from the zone and came home with 3 codes. What do you guys think?

P1193 for air fuel and two more for misfire codes on cyls 4 and 8 which is nothing to worry about because I just changed plugs/wires.
So my problem is mostly that P1193 code. Any insight on this, I am now starting to think 02 sensors, this problem I have is a very intermittent idle and when for a while it was running decent for my standards and then it runs like crud.

I have a 97 D1. I have had a CELon sinceI brought it a few months back.The truck has just under 150K miles. Basically at idle, the car rumbles and sort of sounds like a top fuel drag race car. Driving is smooth but not 100%. What I have done so far is replace with the recommended Champion plugs, and a set of newwires yesterday (unfortunatley not the Magnacors you guys all seem to love and not the Bosh +4s you all hate, lol). After the switch the car ran rough still maybe a little worse, only at idle and the cats are rumbling too. So today I regapped theplugs a little biggerand when I removed the day old plugs I noticed they were a little black already after just7 miles of use, I am thinking I have a fuel issue, maybe the system is lean (lack of). Also, I checked and double checked the ignition wire connection and for loos plugs. I always use premium 93 grade gasoline as well as premium oils etc... I plan on starting with small things like adding seafoam in fuel and intake as well as changing the fuel filter too. I could just have bad gas too, which I have yet to check.All these are in the plans for tommorrow, but I want to hear what you guys all think or have experienced.Input is appreciated greatly. I will keep this thread updated until I solve the problem.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Rough Idle, CEL code 300

First of all, the 300 is not a tune up code, there is no such thing, it is a mutiple misfire code. You are running way to rich, per your already blackened plugs and both of your cats are trash.
So get rid of new cats, most likely 02 sensors also if you are over 100,000 miles. Exactly what plug wires did you install, by brand? What octane gas are you running?

Old 02-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Supposedly the 02 sensors are new, and since I have owned the car I have run only 93 octane mostly Shell V-Power, I assume the previous owner used premium fuel as well. I am using the cheap $1.69 Champion Copper plugs fromparts storeP/N 318 as well as a new set of leads.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

WHO's wires, this really can make a huge difference.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Drifting

New Update:
The wires are Bosch, I just discovered I have a P1193 as well so that is the culprit maybe,and themisfires are most likely fixed, but codes are still stored on the CEL.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Administrator

1193 is a downstream heater sensor in one of your 02's.
Are you sure you have no other code, check again, get them all cleared and see what shows up.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Drifting
Default RE: HELP! Rough Idle, Vac hose???

Update: Vac hose to blame?

Ok I spent a great deal of time searching the forums and working on the truck and I was able to draw some conclusions. Now Autozone can't clear my codes because it is illegal to do in my state, but the codes I have are stored and I am sure they are old and were just never cleared. CEL has been on for a long time.

What I have done so far:
-New spark plugs(Champion) and ignition leads (Bosch)
-Seafoamed (full can) the intake system through the hose.
-Ran some injector cleaner in the fuel.
-Cleaned throttle body with carb/choke cleaner.
-Unplugged MAF and it ran a little better so I assume its an air flow problem.

The outcome:
After I seafoamed and was letting it run I noticed a small air leak and I pinpointed it to the vacuum hose on the leftintake to valve cover hose aka.(hose used for Seafoam injection) I noticed there was a cut in the middle of it and the hose was almost collapsed! So I took it off and taped it as a quick test fix and put it back on. Well, the truck started and found its idle and ran somewhat better but not 100%. I drove it around and it was no longer sluggish when taking off like it was and ran somewhat better but not as smooth.

So my question is would a ripped vac hose like this expain my poor idle? I did tape it up and it ran a little better but the hose is still faulty and feels very soft, so when engine is on it is sucked in almost collapsed. I went to the hardware store and got some $.59 cent plumbing hose for a test but it didn't want to fit as snug as I wanted it.

Do you guys think this hose is to blame? Have you ever seen a vac leak be the cause for crap idle? Where can I get the OE hose and for how much? I have a feeling this could be the prob, but I don't want to get cocky, especially with this truck! Thanks I will update if this is a fix, I sure hope it is. I am a college kid and I don't have a dime, so I will have to dealmy"LR induced headaches" whenever there are more problems as I can't afford service bills, but I am pretty handy.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Administrator

You should replace both the v/c hoses, the problem is, they are about $40 from Rover.
Neither of those hoses will cause an 1193 code though, so you will need to deal with that still as well as the idle. Have you done anything with the IAC to stabilize your idle?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. Well, I found the hose I neededfrom Atlantic Brittishthe PCV tuneup kit with both hoses are$19.99 only. As for the IAC, no I haven't touched it yet but what should I look for. I will look it over soon. I plan on dealing with the code too as this is a likely problem. Thanks again. I will keep everything updated.

I also noticed that the 3 smaller hoses near firewall at the T fitting were split at the ends. Would any of the big or smallhoses cause a stumbling idle? I sometimes feel a lag when accelerating, butit safe to say thatits not an electricalmisfire now.

This is the ripped hose:

Old 03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Drifting

Will the CEL clear itself after the problem is fixed because i belive the p1193 was fixed and never cleared because the oxygen sensors were replaced not too long ago. Were exactly in the IACV located? does anyone have a pic? Thanks

Quick Reply: HELP! Runnig Rough Sluggish -- CEL