Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on a spark issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Help on a spark issue

First off I know its not the CPS as I changed it out. To be sure it wasnt a faulty part I changed it out again with one from my running D2.

What happens is it cranks 5 seconds then spark will start then it will fire up. I drive around 10 minutes then it dies and wont start. It would start up again after a few hours but now it wont spark at all.

I think it is bad coils. Am I on the right track?

Old 09-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Update I read on another forum that I should unplug my MAF sensor and try to start it. It made no sense to me but I tried it and IT STARTED RIGHT UP.

Maybe this is just a huge coincidence. But if not does that mean clean and/or replace the MAF?

Old 09-19-2016, 03:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default update to update

so i got excited about it starting after unplugging the maf. i ran to town to order a new one and when i got back it wouldnt start again. this is drivin me nuts.

so my spark is intermittant. starts up once in awhile but dies when it warms up. its not the cps. any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

How did you test whether it was sparking? Did you pull plugs and look at them? Could you see that any were missing? Is it throwing related codes?

There are a ton of unanswered questions here that make it hard to diagnose, but in your position, if you know you have a spark issue, I'd first test the plugs, then test the wires, then look at the coils.

I'm not well-versed on how the CPS plays into the ignition cycle, but I thought if the CPS was malfunctioning, it simply wouldn't crank. What I'm understanding here is that it's cranking (i.e. the starter motor is moving the flywheel, and it's "trying" to start) but it's not starting up some of the time. Correct me if this is wrong.