Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with value of Disco II - with some issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting for a Disco II

Hello,

Newbie to the forum, but have been reading a bunch as I look to re-enter being a Discovery owner (had a 95 Disco 1 from 1995-1998).

EDIT - I have decided to reuse this thread with all the candidate DISCO II's I am researching so as to not create too many threads for the same thing.

Candidate #1

I'm looking for a rather inexpensive one that I can do a few repairs/upgrades to and found the following:

2000 Discovery II
Leather Interior
Dual Sunroofs
110k Miles
A/C works...woo hoo
Problem - Exhaust Leak of some sort under Driver Side
Problem - Driver Rear Airspring blown
Problem - Driver Rear View Mirror missing

What I have read is that the following would be needed at minimum:

Full 60k+ Service
Replacement of Front Driveshaft or rebuild

Upgrades - I would probably do an OME 2" Lift and get rid of the Air Suspension

Querie:
  1. What would be typical replacement cost for a driver Mirror Assembly?
  2. Is there a typical driver side exhaust leak problem? (much like cracked manifolds on Disco I's?)
  3. What would be the value of such a Disco II?
  4. Any other major concerns other than the items in blue to service above?
Sidenote: I have not visited to inspect the Disco II - I am just trying to figure out if it's worth it to drive/see based on a value/input from the forum.

Thanks in advance folks!!

Last edited by Airdoc; 08-19-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:39 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Worth is about $1000 -$1500 IMO. Maybe closer to $2000 if the rest of the truck is pristine.

Check Roverland Parts for approximate used parts prices and Atlantic British for new parts.

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-11-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Worth is about $1000 -$1500 IMO. Maybe closer to $2000 if the rest of the truck is pristine.
wow....much lower value than I was thinking from advertised prices in this area....hmm....I gotta negotiate....still wondering if there is a typical exhaust problem...can't seem to find via search.

Thanks for response.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Spike555
Thanks - that roverlandparts.com outfit helps put things in perspective.

Still a bit confused on value of the Disco II...even with the "normal" outfits to research.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Team Owner

The exhaust problem...DII's manifolds crack just like the DI's.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Take a average of what the value is of the truck on all three of those sites in average condition.
Then look up the pricing of the NEW parts for the truck on AB's web site and print off those parts with pricing.
So print the page with a NEW LAND ROVER suspension air bag, a new LAND ROVER rear view mirror, a new exhaust manifold, and whatever else it needs to be street legal.
He wont care about the 60k serive, he wont care about the front driveshaft, what you need to point out to him is what it will cost to get the truck street legal so that you can drive it.
Take the cost of all of those parts and subtract them from the average value of the truck.
So if the average value of the truck is $4000, and parts total is $1000, offer him $3000.
See what I'm saying?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:40 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Spike555
Take a average of what the value is of the truck on all three of those sites in average condition.
Then look up the pricing of the NEW parts for the truck on AB's web site and print off those parts with pricing.
So print the page with a NEW LAND ROVER suspension air bag, a new LAND ROVER rear view mirror, a new exhaust manifold, and whatever else it needs to be street legal.
He wont care about the 60k serive, he wont care about the front driveshaft, what you need to point out to him is what it will cost to get the truck street legal so that you can drive it.
Take the cost of all of those parts and subtract them from the average value of the truck.
So if the average value of the truck is $4000, and parts total is $1000, offer him $3000.
See what I'm saying?
I'm with ya...let me have a go - hopefully it's still around this weekend when I get back in town from work travels..

Thx again!!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Team Owner

If its meant to be then so it will be.
Dont force it, the right truck will find you, took me 12 months of researching and 9 months of looking before my truck found me.
I have been a enthusiast for 18 years and it still took me 9 months to find the right truck.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Airdoc
wow....much lower value than I was thinking from advertised prices in this area....hmm....I gotta negotiate....still wondering if there is a typical exhaust problem...can't seem to find via search.

Thanks for response.
You are right, he is quite a bit off on his price.
Depending on where you live, a 2000 can sell for $3000 to $5000 less any issues.
How mechanical are you? most of the issues you have mentioned can be done easily except for trouble shooting the rear suspension and it may not be a big issue.

Quick Reply: Help with value of Disco II - with some issues