Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helpful tip to prevent front driveshaft failure!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 01:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Helpful tip to prevent front driveshaft failure!

Hey all, this is a warning to all D2 owners out there who still have operating A/C.

Not so recently, when rebuilding my front driveshaft, i set out to locate a route cause, and by chance stumbled upon what i believe to be an active contributor. The A/C drain tube drips directly onto the front driveshaft U-joint. The constant moisture coupled with intense heat from the catalytic converter is most definitely why this problem is so common. The fix was to shove an undersized hose up through the condenser drain. I then zip tied it so it drains away from the shaft. About a 5 min job. It may be possible that not all years were the same (mine's a '99) but in my opinion its worth taking a gander under your truck. You'll see the black drain grommet staring at you.

I'm now counting on my new driveshaft to last quite some time

Last edited by Dsport; 02-19-2019 at 01:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Good to know.
The only concern I would have with this method is if I go wading deep in water, the water can now get into the cabin depending how you position the extra hose piece.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Grease the joints at every oil change and dont worry about the drain on that side. Also make sure to upgrade the spider joints to greasable on the other end...thats the one that fails most of the time . FYI... The other ac drain drip right on the xyz switch which is more concerning to me for these older trucks.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Or, make an aluminum heat shield for the cat so it does not cook the grease in the joints. I wrap the cat in that side with aluminum duct from HD.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
I wrap the cat in that side with aluminum duct from HD.
Pics?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Protecting the driveshaft from catalytic converter heat can be done a variety of ways. I opted not to add any heat protection. Although I’m sure a piece of aluminum with some hose clamps would be sufficient. Also the cat can be heatwraped. I may revisit this, however I’m pretty sure my head gaskets are going to blow before my driveshaft does again.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

The driveshaft usually fails in the rear. I had two shafts fail. I caught both. Both were the rear u joint. The first was the original at 170,000 I think. The other only lasted 2 months and was an Ebay purchase. I replaced the joints in the original shaft with trw joints that have grease fittings and have been fine since.

I check it once a month.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
The driveshaft usually fails in the rear. I had two shafts fail. I caught both. Both were the rear u joint.
Do you mean the rear shaft, or the rear of the front shaft with the double-cardan joint? I've always understood that rear shaft failures are uncommon and it's the front shaft that most often lets go.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mln01
Do you mean the rear shaft, or the rear of the front shaft with the double-cardan joint? I've always understood that rear shaft failures are uncommon and it's the front shaft that most often lets go.
Originally Posted by shanechevelle
The driveshaft usually fails in the rear. I had two shafts fail. I caught both. Both were the rear u joint. The first was the original at 170,000 I think. The other only lasted 2 months and was an Ebay purchase. I replaced the joints in the original shaft with trw joints that have grease fittings and have been fine since.

I check it once a month.
As we all know is the front shaft that is prone to failure. @Shanechevlle is either mistaken or purchased a truck that already had the front shaft replaced and is now dealing with the rear. Because the front ALL fail. Mine went at well under 100k. Destroyed the trans and the cat in the process. My rear is oem at 105k miles. I’m starting to get a good amount of vibration from the rear so I’m getting ready to pull the rear shaft and see if I can’t locate where the vibration is coming from.

Last edited by Dsport; 02-20-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

I don't believe shanechevelle is mistaken. I removed the original front shaft at 170,090. The original owner of the truck is my ex, I know it was never replaced.

Quick Reply: Helpful tip to prevent front driveshaft failure!