Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey look.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. Good to see one out being used like it should. I must say, that is one nice Disco.

Glad to hear they work well, mine is getting a rear TrueTrac in about a month. Around the same time it's getting the CDL linkage.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Very cool. Did you do them front and rear? I saw the front continue to turn, so I'm sure there's the one in there, just curious if you did the rear too. These work very much like the Lock-Rite and Aussie lockers that replace the spider gears. Do you ever hear your Detroit click in the turns when you're off throttle? Did you see any toughness in the steering making tight turns with the CDL engaged?

Dave

Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Never do just the front! That's a recipe for disaster. He did them front and rear.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Never do just the front! That's a recipe for disaster. He did them front and rear.
Why on this platform is that horrid? This is a continuing arguement in the Jeep world, if you only had $ for one, which do you do first. Some say the rear tires on a climb of a rock face will often have more traction already where your fronts are more often in the air, benefiting having a front locker first.

I've never done a front locker first myself, always rear. ARB switch setups go in that order by default - compressor on, rear locker, front locker. Jeep Rubicons (factory air lockers front & rear) have the same, rear on first, then front, can't just turn on front either.

My understanding of WHY those were setup that way was for steering toughness. Having a locked front axle has a tendency to bull more (understeer) in the tight turns around trees. So, this way, the switch is flicked for the front, rear continues to stay locked, turn front back on for next obstacle, making steering easier until that point... which often ends with a confused look on the drivers face until he remembers to turn the front locker back on... Seen that countless times.

Is there something different of this solid axle drivetrain setup?

Dave

Old 04-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
Awesome. Good to see one out being used like it should. I must say, that is one nice Disco.

Glad to hear they work well, mine is getting a rear TrueTrac in about a month. Around the same time it's getting the CDL linkage.
Awesome, I expect pictures and/or video.

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Very cool. Did you do them front and rear? I saw the front continue to turn, so I'm sure there's the one in there, just curious if you did the rear too. These work very much like the Lock-Rite and Aussie lockers that replace the spider gears. Do you ever hear your Detroit click in the turns when you're off throttle? Did you see any toughness in the steering making tight turns with the CDL engaged?

Dave
Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Yes I did them both front and rear. I have at least had them installed in my Disco for many years now and have never heard any clicking under any situation out of them. I can't even tell I have them until I need them.

The steering is noticeably; yet only slightly, tougher when turning with the CDL engaged.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this what you have front and rear, or is it the limited slip ones?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dt...ake/land-rover
Also, did you upgrade the axle shafts? Sorry for 20 questions, just curious.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MC04DII
Is this what you have front and rear, or is it the limited slip ones?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dt...ake/land-rover
Also, did you upgrade the axle shafts? Sorry for 20 questions, just curious.
The one you linked:
These Eaton Detroit Lockers are designed to maximize traction by delivering 100 percent of the torque and power to both drive wheels. They are engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode and have the ability to automatically allow wheel speed differentiation when required.

I believe he has these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-912a383/overview/
"These Eaton Detroit Truetrac differentials use a patented design of parallel-axis planetary helix gears to provide a quiet, automatic splitting of torque. They perform like an open differential under normal driving conditions, automatically transferring torque to the wheel with better traction when ground conditions warrant."

The detroit is a "true" locker..when driving straight down the road its 100% locked, in a turn it unlocks.

The trutrac is more a limited slip diff.

Glad to hear you like the setup...i will be calling GBR later today to get some pricing on getting a complete 3rd member with gears and a locker for the front and rear...probably go with the 2 trutracs as well.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

HAHAHAHA that was the gayest thing I have ever seen. "LOOK GUYS I WENT OVER LUMPY DIRT!" you could'a saved the thousand bucks and just drove 10 feet to the right and completely missed the rough part in the road. OR you could have bought a Subaru and done like 50 MPH over those bumps, that would'a been cool...

EDIT: The squeaky brakes at the end were the icing on the cake.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
HAHAHAHA that was the gayest thing I have ever seen. "LOOK GUYS I WENT OVER LUMPY DIRT!" you could'a saved the thousand bucks and just drove 10 feet to the right and completely missed the rough part in the road. OR you could have bought a Subaru and done like 50 MPH over those bumps, that would'a been cool...

what a d-bag...

Old 04-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Awesome, I expect pictures and/or video.
Deal!

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech

Well that was uncalled for.

Quick Reply: Hey look.