Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HG Job last week? Stunning success! Now, P0174:(

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HG Job last week? Stunning success! Now, P0174:(

So, many of you guys gave me some great advice as I was getting coolant into my oil and was leaking tons of oil... Long story short, I replaced the HG's, got my heads machined (and good thing I got them off and cleaned, they were GUNKED UP), replaced my thermostat with a warm weather t-stat, all new E3-48 spark plugs and Bosch wires, belt tensioner, and a new coolant thermo sensor that I broke.

Anyway, 4 days and $1000 later, everything seemed to be running great. When I first started the engine, the idle was super high (2000 rpm) so I shut it down and adjusted the throttle cable to be a little looser and everything seemed great after that. Drove it around without incident, but didn't really see much of a difference in power or anything.

On my way back to Stillwater, OK from Tulsa, I noticed that I was kind of sputtering forward when I tried to accelerate more (like going uphill) when I was driving about 80 mph. This concerned me so I turned off cruise control and tested it, and the same thing kept occurring. I hit a big bump in the pavement and felt the car momentarily slow down and then pick back up. So i stopped at a gas station and everything felt fine, and I tried to give it a little rev really quick at about 10mph. The engine just sputtered again and then the RPM dove down to like 200-300 and then died. I started it up, no problem, then the rpm dropped after a few seconds and it died again. Started it up again, died again. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then started up again and the idle seemed to have leveled out at about 800.

I got back on the road and felt the sputtering again so I just cruised home at like 60mph and my "service engine soon" light came on at some point, I'm not sure. I got code P0174, "System too lean (bank 2)".

The only thing I can think of thus far is that my idle dropping is probably due to the adjustments I made to the throttle, so I will retighten that.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing that code with those symptoms? Around town, as long as I'm not gunning it it seems to drive fine. I will clear the code tomorrow and see if it pops back up.

I did unplug and loosen some sensor underneath the engine block when I was trying to loosen the coolant plug on the passenger side (It's in the worse place! Like right under the engine mount!) and the electrical plug may have gotten coolant on it.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody got anything for me? It's drivable around town, but I'm going to avoid highway travel for now. It seems like people usually get P0174 in addition to other codes--I couldn't find anyone with just this one code.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe vaccum leak, fuel ejector.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you need to replace your o2 sensors. upstream. Also get a code reader and then get the sheet that has all of the code descriptions. There is a string here that has them.