Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi! New here! I have coolant question!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 02:14 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi! New here! I have coolant question!

Through an improper coolant flush and trapped air, a lube company fried my engine. Luckily, their insurance bought a new (reman) engine which my mechanic is installing now.

I've read a great deal on this forum and others about the proper coolant to use. I have 2004 Disco II 4.6 engine with secondary air. With the new engine install, I want to start out right.

So is it Orange Dex-Cool? Peak Global Lifetime? Pentefrost SF? I read so many different opinions. I'm curious about your experiences with this issue.

Thanks!
Douglas

Old 03-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting. Dex Cool is on the no-no list here. It's supposed to eat up engines. Interesting to see if there is any argument by the payor if Dex Cool is listed as the recommended coolant - even if folks here say never use it?

I would not use Dex Cool

Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Just use univeral green. Brand doesn't matter so much, just get whatever's cheapest. For most people that's Peak, I usually use whatever the house brand of my local auto parts store is or whatever is on sale. As long as you use universal green and replace it every couple years you'll be good.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard opinions about dex-cool and it turns out that it is not favored by most Land Rover owners. The British automotive shop in my town also swears against using dexcool, same as many people here on this forum. So my British auto shop simply told me that I should fill up with Green conventional coolant, as that is the stuff they put in my Discovery 2 when I brought it in for a coolant hose job.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Camel Trophy

The reason most people are anti-dex is because of how quickly it turns acidic and how damaging it is after it has turned acidic. I knew a guy who used nothing but dex, but he also changed his coolant every 6 months. If you can do that, dex is fine. If you don't want to do that, green is the way to go because it lasts just as long.

Also add some Water Wetter to your coolant. I think most additives are snake oil, but I saw a 2-3 degree drop in running temps just using the recommended few ounces.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is water wetter ok for dex cool as well? I've always heard to avoid adding anything to dex cool...

Old 03-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Camel Trophy

I doubt it, but I'm sure the bottle or their website says.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

When I used to use dexcool, I would always add Water Wetter to it at every coolant change. I never had any issues. But now I use peak global lifetime after my friend's 07 Tahoe got a clogged radiator because of dexcool.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:01 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like there's some anti-Dex Cool feelings here. I'm wondering if Peak Global Lifetime is the way to go. Pentofrost SF is "Land Rover approved" though.

Thoughts?

Old 03-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I am using Peak Global Lifetime. Its hard to find full strength. Premixed 50/50 is easier to find.

Quick Reply: Hi! New here! I have coolant question!