Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hid extra

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

But how much night driving do you do Mike? Once a week? Every day?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike did you do the Hi beam as well??

Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
Mike did you do the Hi beam as well??
Ther are 2 types of kits, bi-xenon and hi/lo HID.
The bi-xenon is a HID low with a halogen hi.
The hi/lo HID is a low HID with a "deflector" that when in hi mode changes the light pattern so it goes out further.

I am still doing research on this subject.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Picture don't do justice to what is laid out in front of your truck every night while driving in the dark, pure white for twice the distance down the road best describes it.
And dazzling other drivers.

If the beam pattern goes further than the factory headlights, then it's WRONG and needs adjusting, brightness has no real effect, but the aim of the headlamp does, and this is due to the fact a Halogen headlamp reflector does not work properly with a HID filament

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 08-02-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
Ther are 2 types of kits, bi-xenon and hi/lo HID.
The bi-xenon is a HID low with a halogen hi.
The hi/lo HID is a low HID with a "deflector" that when in hi mode changes the light pattern so it goes out further.

I am still doing research on this subject.
Currently if I pull back on the wand and hold it, both the Hi/Lo are on at the same time...

So with the bi-xenon I would still be able to pull back the wand and hold it and turn both the HID Lo and Halogen Hi??

Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
And dazzling other drivers.

If the beam pattern goes further than the factory headlights, then it's WRONG and needs adjusting, brightness has no real effect, but the aim of the headlamp does, and this is due to the fact a Halogen headlamp reflector does not work properly with a HID filament

based on what i have read this is true.

you are better off going with a high quality upgrade like a set of piaa's in the highs and lows rather then a HID bulb in a halogen reflector. something about the light spectrum not properly being projected.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
Currently if I pull back on the wand and hold it, both the Hi/Lo are on at the same time...

So with the bi-xenon I would still be able to pull back the wand and hold it and turn both the HID Lo and Halogen Hi??
No, our trucks use a single bulb, it has 2 fillamints, our head lamp bulbs are like a 2 way light bulb that you use in your table lamp in your living room, so no both are not on at the same time.

But if you do hold the wand in that "sweet spot" half way between hi and lo yes both fillamints are on at the same time BUT this puts to much lot on the headlight switch and will burn it out, so this is not recommended practice, as for the bi-xenon...I dont know.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:29 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The bi-xenon uses a small motor in the base of the bulb to retract the bulb back into the base and change the beam pattern for your high beams. Your headlights will not actually get any brighter but will shine further down the road because of the change in beam pattern. Realistically the HIDs put out enough light that just changing the beam pattern between high and low is sufficient.

I have never used the xenon low/halogen high setup but I would imagine that the xenon would go off when you switch to high beams. I guess it will be determined by how the ballasts are set up.

Regardless of which style bulb you go with I highly recommend buying the wiring harness like HID Extra sells. It allows the power for the lights to be pulled directly from the battery rather than through the switch, which will extend the life of the headlight switch. My bi-xenon kit came with the harness.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

I am thinking that I am just going to go with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs when one of mine burns out, no need to spend money now when both headlights are still good.
With the cost of the HID kits and then the possible fine and then having to go back to halogens after the ticket to prove that you corrected the problem and then put the HID's back in after the fact and then get pulled over again and then the fine and...I think that I will just stay within the confines of the law.
If I change my mind you guys will be the second ones to know.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Winching

Ive gone the other way...

Im Definatly going with the HID Bi Xenon, if I can ever figure out which one is for the Disco I, the HID Extra websight does lack a certain amount of logic.. No application data, no real explaination the diffrence in each of the kits they offer..

Ill take some before and after pictures if I can and test the waters for you

Quick Reply: Hid extra