Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Install in 2003 Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcbinaflash
Thanks guys for all your thoughts. I ended up installing 35w 6000k bulbs as my lo-beams. I purchased my kit from eBay from a reputable seller with 20,000+ positive feedbacks.

WOW! What a difference!

The light is BRIGHT white (with a slight bluish tint - exactly what I was looking for). They look great.

I've attached some pics for your review.

Notice how the fogs now appear VERY yellow next to the new HIDs. They never struck me as "yellow" before, which is a testament to just how much whiter these HIDs really are. Given how easy and inexpensive the swap was, I'm considering replacing the fogs with HIDs as well to even out the overall look.
Disco looks good with new lights!! I've been waiting to see pictures of a Disco with the 6000k bulbs. Wondering how much you paid and from what ebay seller. This is exactly what I'm looking to do seeing that my night vision is pretty bad. 6000k is perfect, and I am looking to do the same for both the low beams and fogs. Thanks for the help and great looking Disco.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you post pictures of what the back of the head light looks now? and how you set up the harness? and can you post the link of the ebay item you bought?

I know im asking a lot but I want HID's too... =)

Old 06-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Josh,
Go to http://www.70dollarhids.com/ , this is where I got mine. I don't like the guy, but he sells a great product at a good price along with a lifetime warranty of the lights. By the way, he replace a 2 light set when ever you burn out a bulb, that way you'll have even light and color.
I went with the 35 watt, 6000K single beams.
Hell you could run the 55's and shine from one side of your island to the other.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Josh,
Go to http://www.70dollarhids.com/ , this is where I got mine. I don't like the guy, but he sells a great product at a good price along with a lifetime warranty of the lights. By the way, he replace a 2 light set when ever you burn out a bulb, that way you'll have even light and color.
I went with the 35 watt, 6000K single beams.
Hell you could run the 55's and shine from one side of your island to the other.
Thanks Mike, now I know what to do if St. Croix needs a new light house...haha

Old 06-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Funny, I thought about mentioning that.
Hey, you could get all your Rover buddies to install them and all climb a hill facing the sky and see if the space shuttle sees you on one of it's cross overs.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Funny, I thought about mentioning that.
Hey, you could get all your Rover buddies to install them and all climb a hill facing the sky and see if the space shuttle sees you on one of it's cross overs.

We have a few steep hills that might face up at that angle and I bet they would see us !

Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jycsalas
Can you post pictures of what the back of the head light looks now? and how you set up the harness? and can you post the link of the ebay item you bought?

I know im asking a lot but I want HID's too... =)
Josh-

Here's the link to the eBay seller I purchased from. Very quick shipping the product seemed high-quality: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I'm reluctant to take apart the headlights again for a photo of the back of the assembly, but trust me, if I can do this myself, you can too. You'll have to drill out a hole in the low-beam watertight seal, but that was very easy as the plastic is very soft. Honestly only took about 30 - 40 minutes from prep to finish to disassemble, drill the holes, configure the lighting, and reassemble the lights and grille. Very easy and you'll love the result - not only in the appearance of the light, but in the light output, which is MUCH clearer and brighter. A huge improvement.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:28 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have pictures of this job and will upload them tomorrow or saturday for those that need a little help

Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Mudding

I have been reading through all of these posts about headlight replacement and i am wondering if the 55 watt bulbs are too much for the factory wiring harness? If i install them will they cause trouble to the factory wiring? Or will it hold up? I have a headlight out and want to replace them with something brighter. And yes i realize that they are not DOT approved.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Administrator

The problem with the 55 watt HID's is they are way too bright and will really bother everyone else on the road.
I really like my 35 Watt 6000K lights for the color and brightness.
The neat thing about them is it takes all of about 10 minutes a side to install them and you don't need to change out the wiring cause they only draw about 3 amps, after firing up, which is less then many other halagon bulbs.

Quick Reply: HID Install in 2003 Disco?