Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Install in 2003 Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Install in 2003 Disco?

I have a 2003 Disco and am looking to upgrade to HIDs after becoming fed up with frequent Silverstar replacements. Is anyone familiar with a source for a high-quality dual Hi/Lo kit for the H7 bulbs of my truck? I can't seem to find a Hi/Lo kit for the H7 bulb. Perhaps it's not produced.

Also, I'm debating on 6000k vs. 4300k. I read that Disco Mike has 6000k, which is probably good enough for me! Anyone else have anything else to offer on the comparison between these two options?

Finally, most of the kits I see online tout "easy installation". I've swapped my standard H7 halogens several times, but am anxious to hear if the HID install is truly “easy”. (NB: I will almost certainly purchase one of the solid-state kits, so no wire splicing or soldering should be required). I would love to read any antidotes of HID installation experiences.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Those kits are truely plug and play. Are you going to use the 35 or 55 watt kits? I am running the 35 watt set up with the 6000K because I wanted the most white light, not yellowish, that I could get without going blue.
If you have any questions, PM me your tele number and I'll call you.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Overlanding

I'm leaning toward the 35 watt as I've read they provide more-than-adequate illumination without pushing the limits of what's permissible on the road. I'd like to replicate the light-output and color of the OEM HID headlamps of the Range Rover or LR3 as they seem "just right". Do you know what the OEM specs are for those models (Kelvins and wattage)? I've not been able to find those specs after an hour of internet searching.

Also, do you know if my halogen hi-beams will still function when the HIDs are installed as the lo-beams? If they will (which seems likely given it's a separate bulb), I'll abandon my idea of finding a Hi/Lo H7 HID kit (which doesn't seem to exist).

As always, thanks for your thoughts.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to talk with me, send me your number or I will send you mine.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:38 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

H7 is strictly a single beam bulb. Your 03 uses a separate bulb for the high beams. You can either leave the halogen high beam bulb or buy a second H7 HID kit for the high beams.

Stay away from the 55 watt kits for headlights. I say this every time someone asks about HID conversions. Aftermarket HIDs are not DOT certified and therefore technically illegal. The 55 watt kit is going to put out a lot more light and draw more attention to your illegal modification. As long as your lights aren't blinding people the cops generally won't say anything. Considering the number of vehicles using HID lights from the factory cops don't keep up with which should have them and which don't but why draw any unnecessary attention to your vehicle.

I run the 4300K and it gives off a very white light. I like Disco Mike's 6000K but they seem a little blue compared to mine. I installed 5000K H7 kit in my dad's Mercedes and there is no blue or yellow at all in the 5000k, just pure white light. I have also figured out that the color varies by manufacture and how much you use the lights. I have the 4300K in both my headlights and driving lights and my driving lights that don't get used very often and haven't had a chance to stabilize the color are considerably more blue than my headlights.

Last edited by AK Rover; 06-13-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Mudding

I have 35w 6000K low beams on my '03. Yes they are plug and play AFTER you drill a large hole on the bulb cover in the back of the headlamp assembly. If you want HID for both low/high beams you'll need 2 kits. And unless you drive with your high beams on quite a bit I'd recommend against it as HID's take a few seconds to get fully ignited when you turn them on. For normal driving converting your H11 fogs may be another option to consider.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Mudding

I have installed the VVME 35w 4300k set on my 03 Disco. These kits are available through EBAY and seem to be off very good quality. I also have sold quite a few of these sets to my customers at my shop, so far out of 30 sets, only 1 bad bulb and 1 bad ballast, that is a good ratio for me.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No HID kit but installed 5900k bulbs for the high/low beams. 3000k coming for the fog lights.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Overlanding

Thanks guys for all your thoughts. I ended up installing 35w 6000k bulbs as my lo-beams. I purchased my kit from eBay from a reputable seller with 20,000+ positive feedbacks.

WOW! What a difference!

The light is BRIGHT white (with a slight bluish tint - exactly what I was looking for). They look great.

I've attached some pics for your review.

Notice how the fogs now appear VERY yellow next to the new HIDs. They never struck me as "yellow" before, which is a testament to just how much whiter these HIDs really are. Given how easy and inexpensive the swap was, I'm considering replacing the fogs with HIDs as well to even out the overall look.

Attached Thumbnails HID Install in 2003 Disco?-lr-1.jpg   HID Install in 2003 Disco?-lr-2.jpg   HID Install in 2003 Disco?-lr-3.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:43 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good. I have HID headlights in both my vehicles and wouldn't go back to halogen. The light output for such a small power draw is incredible.

Quick Reply: HID Install in 2003 Disco?