Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID lights?

I *distinctly* remember various threads about HID lights from earlier in the year, but when I use the forum search feature, I get nothing.

So, I'll ask. What do I need to look out for in an HID conversion, assuming that I'm doing a high/low conversion rather than low only?? Do I need separate relays for this or is the factory setup adequate? Anything else of note?

Thanks, I've got a local guy doing installs of O-NEX kits for a reasonable price, and my wife wants better light...

Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

All you need is a complete kit, usually 35 watt, 6000K lights and the ballast, it is plug and play from there.
Try this link, http://www.hidextra.com/
If you have any questions, get back to me.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Specifically, though, you need a replacement that *replaces the reflector*. The axis of the "filament" is 90 degrees in most HID lamps from what it is in most halogens, and you won't get a proper pattern on the road (and out of *my* eyes, damnit :-) if you just plug a replacement lamp into the reflector you have now.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i'm with baylink... if its not going to be done correctly then don't do it. i flash my highbeams @ everyone who just installs the hid bulbs in the halogen reflectors. i even saw a damn chrysler town & country with them all it did was blind the crap out of me... morons.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

HID kits are illegal here in the US unless you change the headlamp too.

Go buy the Philips Crystal Vision Ultra, model number 9003/H4.
They put out twice the light of halogens without blinding other drivers and have a color rating of 4,000K, factory HID's are 4,300K.
They will set you back $30 for a pair.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Many forums' search engines won't let you search for less 3 letters or less, or for multiple words. The easiest way is to use google, something like:
HID site:www.landroverforums.com
You can also then use all the normal google search syntax to narrow your search, http://www.google.com/help/cheatsheet.html

Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Spike555
HID kits are illegal here in the US unless you change the headlamp too.

Go buy the Philips Crystal Vision Ultra, model number 9003/H4.
They put out twice the light of halogens without blinding other drivers and have a color rating of 4,000K, factory HID's are 4,300K.
They will set you back $30 for a pair.

hey spike you know anyone that has tried the Philips Xtreme Power? the retail around $37 but claim 80% more light than standard halogens. right now i'm runnin Sylvania Ultras but want to go over to Philips.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
i'm with baylink... if its not going to be done correctly then don't do it. i flash my highbeams @ everyone who just installs the hid bulbs in the halogen reflectors. i even saw a damn chrysler town & country with them all it did was blind the crap out of me... morons.
First, I doubt you even can tell the difference between factory and HID lights, so I don't buy that. Second HID kits come with lights that have a reflector built into the light element and as such throw basically the same beam as the original halagon bulbs, just whiter and brighter.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Second HID kits come with lights that have a reflector built into the light element and as such throw basically the same beam as the original halagon bulbs, just whiter and brighter.
That was clearly shown, with photographs, in a thread on Land Rovers Only to not be true.
It's nearly impossible to get the proper light cut-off line with HID's stuffed in to Halogen housings. This is a proper cut-off line.
Name:  DSC00832.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  43.3 KB

There is more to headlamp design than the reflector. Even assuming the reflector in the kits are perfect, which I doubt considering the people selling them know fitting the kits is illegal for use on public roads, the lens is just as important. Halogen housings have lenses designed for halogen bulbs, which have an entirely different arc shape than HID bulbs.
Frankly I'm amazed at the number of people who publicly encourage others to violate a .very clear NHTSA regulation.

Even with housings designed specifically for HID bulbs NHTSA published studies show that people are more affected by the glare from HID vs halogen because of the bluer part of the spectrum given off by HID. For a halogen to result in the same glare they need to be 30-50% more luminescent.
For the driver, given how the human eye is built and functions, a very logical hypothesis can be made that one actually has poorer peripheral vision with HID's because of the stark contrast in lighting, vs halogen and how our eyes adjust for nighttime vision. What one thinks they are perceiving as far as ability to see safely is often not actually the case when tested under controlled conditions.

Last edited by antichrist; 12-29-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First, I doubt you even can tell the difference between factory and HID lights, so I don't buy that. Second HID kits come with lights that have a reflector built into the light element and as such throw basically the same beam as the original halagon bulbs, just whiter and brighter.

mike i usually agree with everything you say but seriously? you can't tell the difference between HID and halogen headlights? When i drive the busy highways around NYC it is SO so easy to spot people with HID conversions in their halogen lamps, stock HID or stock halogens. You can easily tell the difference. Most people that put HID conversion kits in their older honda civics, or cadillac escalades don't put a 6000k kit. they use a 8000k-12000k kit. Easily blinding everyone in the oncoming lanes with a purple or blue light. When installed properly as in the newer model Acura, Land Rover, Mercedes and BMW vehicles the lights are not blinding and are in fact beamed directly on to the road surface.

You had mentioned the reflectors, on the HID extra website i can't seem to find anywhere that is says the bulbs include a reflector built into the light.

The LEAST irresponsable way to illegally modify your lights is to ensure the HID Kit is supplied with the appropriate reflectors to hopefully save the oncoming traffic from temporary blinding!

IMO you should stick to the halogens use a brighter halogen bulb and if necessary installs some auxillary lighting.

the daniel stern website has a great write up on it this whole subject

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Quick Reply: HID lights?