Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Discovery 3, or LR3 as you know it and Range rover L322 was the first models to have HID lights

A little interestign reading I just found, basically saying what I said.

NHTSA 43-04
Tuesday, October 19, 2004

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES

Continuing its crackdown against manufacturers and suppliers of illegal lighting equipment, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced its decision that high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits produced by a Texas company do not comply with federal safety standards.

The owner of ASTEX USA, a supplier of aftermarket HID kits, was ordered to conduct a recall campaign and provide a no-cost solution to the customer. The company is based in Dayton, TX. When installed in a motor vehicle, the HID kits “can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists and others,” NHTSA said in its decision.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales.

“These illegal lights are a potential hazard to those who share the road,” said NHTSA Administrator Jeffrey Runge, MD. “And we will continue to pursue those offering them for sale and violating the law.”

Companies that sell, import or manufacture non-compliant equipment could face substantial civil penalties, NHTSA said.

Update: May 3, 2007:
NHTSA Cracks Down on Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is targeting high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits for enforcement actions. NHTSA has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The noncompliant kits frequently include a HID bulb, a ballast, an igniter, a relay and wiring harness adapters. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, the NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800%.

Under FMVSS No. 108 Section S7.7 (replaceable light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast). Consequently, companies that are manufacturing HID light sources (e.g., D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, 9500, etc�) with incandescent light source bases (e.g., H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, HB1, HB2, HB3, HB4, HB5, etc�) should be aware that this light source design would not be one that conforms to FMVSS No. 108, and could not be imported and sold in the United States without violating Federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)

NHTSA has also determined that a commonly used disclaimer "for off-road use only" has no legal meaning and is not recognized by the agency as the manufacturer, importer and retailer are not in a position to control use once a product has been sold. Any equipment offered for sale which is covered by FMVSS No. 108 (headlamps, taillamps, side markers, etc.) must comply with the standard

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 08-01-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here in the US the new LR4 comes with HID's.
As for what UP posted...def food for thought.
Some of the sites that I have looked at did have a disclaimer, "off road use only" but who actually follows that?
I was also wondering about the halogen headlamp compared to the HID headlamp's design.
Reading up I did find one HID kit company that did say that the correct light pattern may not happen if their kit is installed in a halogen headlamp.
So the research continues.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have said time and again that HID conversion kits are illegal here in the states. That being the case if you choose to install the kit you also have to be willing to accept any potential consequences. For me, the increased light and improved looks is worth it. I have passed law enforcement hundreds of times now in both my Rover and my Dodge without a problem. Only way I think you will be hassled about HID conversion is if your lights are out of adjustment and blinding on-coming traffic. The only person I have had flash their high beams in protest of my lights was a low rider chevy, and basically he got what he deserves for driving a low rider.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed 6,000K HID's in my 96 disco around last November. I went with the 35w since the 55w would be too bright since our trucks do not have projectors. 35w is MORE than enough. The light output is awesome! Super easy install as well, just plug and play. I have installed them in all the vehicles in my household as well. I bought mine from ddmtuning.com. They are based in San Diego and sell absolutely TONS of these with great results. My kit is the raptor brand which cost me only $40 with LIFETIME WARRANTY!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Team Owner

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ce/Xtravision/
These look pretty good and are 100% leagal, so I am thinking about these becasue I am no longer into breaking the law, breaking the law...

Found this on their site too, pretty cool tool to compare.

http://www.sylvania.com/content/disp...x?id=003696562

Last edited by Spike555; 08-03-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes but dont the produce alot of heat??

Old 08-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

I have no idea.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:36 PM
TReK

If you're going to stay with halogen spend the extra couple dollars and get the Silverstar Ultras. The light color is right on par with HID and the amount of light output is excellent for halogen. The Xtravision is lower in Sylvania's lineup and puts out less light that is more yellow. I ran the Silverstars prior to upgrading to HID and was very impressed.

The Silverstars or Ultravision won't put out any more heat than a standard halogen bulb.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it you like the HID's better than the Silverstars??

I think I will just skip one step..

Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
I take it you like the HID's better than the Silverstars??

I think I will just skip one step..
I like the fact that my HIDs pull only 35 watts instead of 55 lo/65 hi and put out more light. I have enough stuff pulling on the electrical system without having my headlights using unnecessary power.

Quick Reply: HID question