Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage Disco's

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default High mileage Disco's

I had another thread about buying a rebuilt title it was getting watered down(by myself) because of my indecisiveness.

My new venture is a 03 disco II with 165k miles with an asking price of 3k.

The interior looks great with hardly any wear. The owner has had a couple of discoveries and seems to be on top of maintenance(probably a member here).

Exterior looks very good for the year and the owner removed the front bumper cover and rhino lined underneath(looks good) I will probably install a terrafirma bumper anyway. small hole in the rear bumper.

engine appears to run great with an exhaust leak and leaking coolant near the intake manifold gasket(not blown headgasket).

I am looking for a 03-04.. prefer a 04 but this 03 would leave plenty of cash for mods and swapping the transfer case for an 04(need cdl).

So would 165k be approaching the point even when meticulously maintained where not enough life exists to consider buying one even for 3k.

I know I could get a D1 and get cdl for even cheaper but I am after that 4.6 engine.

Other options would be an 04 for 5-6k with money only left over for maintenance.

This example is cheap enough for me to do the maintenance and mods I would like(front bumper,winch,04case with CDL and lever) tires coming later.

Since Everyone likes pics.

[IMG]

Old 03-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it helps.. I paid $3000 for my 02 with 135k. Good body.. really clean interior. hardly a ding or scratch. Typical electrical issues and leaks. Most of them fixed already and I still haven't spent an extra $1000 since purchase. I'm I have to.be close though... lol.

What it is worth is really up to you. I personally would get what you want and nothing else. If you are going to spend your hard earned cash.. do not compromise. Me personally... I would regret it.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by zeroone
If it helps.. I paid $3000 for my 02 with 135k. Good body.. really clean interior. hardly a ding or scratch. Typical electrical issues and leaks. Most of them fixed already and I still haven't spent an extra $1000 since purchase. I'm I have to.be close though... lol.

What it is worth is really up to you. I personally would get what you want and nothing else. If you are going to spend your hard earned cash.. do not compromise. Me personally... I would regret it.
It has alot to do with my area(by that I mean driveable distance) that 2002 would be going for an asking price of 5k or more.

I've looked into ebay and having something shipped but by the time I work in shipping and the negative of not seeing it in person I break even or worse.

3k for 165k is a bit on the high side but compared to every other neglected rust bucket I have looked at for the past month its a bargain.

I'm just not sure if already having CDL is really worth paying an extra 2k on average for a 2004 when I can get a good case for $100-150 + lever - selling my 03 case and come out okay... I'm after that 4.6 after all and that's something Ive decided not to compromise on at all.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Winching

Well then it's either way. Here in jersey, generally speaking.. people do not dig land rovers. They are a great lease car. That's it. I wasn't even looking for a rover. But everything else I looked at need way too much work to be acceptable for me. I was shocked a land rover was. Went car shopping every Saturday for almost 2 months. Looked at durangos Pathfinders grand cherokees.. I started looking at discovery the last 3 saturdays.. probably 2 or 3 per day. Really liked them. Found mine in PA. I THOUGHT 3 WAS A STEAL. GOT HIM DOWN FROM 4K... I WILL BRING MY BUDDIES FIANCÉ FOR NEGOTIATIONS ANYTIME.

JUST KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO SPEND. IF IT'S TOO MUCH KEEP LOOKING. DO YOU HAVE HAVE SPECIFIC TIME FRAME IN WHICH TO BUY THE TRUCK? I HAD TO HAVE A VEHICLE BY END IF JANUARY. START LOOKING END OF NOVEMBER BEGINNING DECEMBER. I KNOW.. WORST TIME TO GO 4X4 SHOPPING... LOL

Old 03-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by zeroone
Well then it's either way. Here in jersey, generally speaking.. people do not dig land rovers. They are a great lease car. That's it. I wasn't even looking for a rover. But everything else I looked at need way too much work to be acceptable for me. I was shocked a land rover was. Went car shopping every Saturday for almost 2 months. Looked at durangos Pathfinders grand cherokees.. I started looking at discovery the last 3 saturdays.. probably 2 or 3 per day. Really liked them. Found mine in PA. I THOUGHT 3 WAS A STEAL. GOT HIM DOWN FROM 4K... I WILL BRING MY BUDDIES FIANCÉ FOR NEGOTIATIONS ANYTIME.

JUST KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO SPEND. IF IT'S TOO MUCH KEEP LOOKING. DO YOU HAVE HAVE SPECIFIC TIME FRAME IN WHICH TO BUY THE TRUCK? I HAD TO HAVE A VEHICLE BY END IF JANUARY. START LOOKING END OF NOVEMBER BEGINNING DECEMBER. I KNOW.. WORST TIME TO GO 4X4 SHOPPING... LOL
I live in florida so finding a 4x4 is hard enough already much less do we have a season for them. I had a grand cherokee 4x4 that was hit recently and although Ive had 2 grand cherokees and they have been great to me I'm just bored of it now.

We went from a 2 car household to sharing a car which can work out but can also be very annoying. That and i spend time in the woods alot camping,fishing,target shooting and what have you that I'm miserable being away and stuck surrounded by people in a metro area with no escape.

We have a newer BMW that we use on the weekends and pretty much anytime i'm not commuting to work(2 mile drive) or heading to the woods.

I'm ready to buy.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Winching

Oof.. ok. Lol. Go for an 03 then. You can always add the cdl. It isn't worth the premium to be honest. I've toyed with the idea of adding it when it's time to reseal the xfercase.. A lack of trails to drive around me kills that.. and, I would never do any serious offroading.. trail driving is what I would like to give a try first.

Just make sure that all is well.. If they say they are up on maintenance ask for records. Ask for them regardless. Service records mean the world. Mine had none.. and I either dodged a major bullet.. or it really was taken care of. So with that being said.. bring a scanner... keep an eye out for leaks. Smell the fluids.. look carefully at them. Get it hot and drive it. I idled mine for 45 minutes before I bought it. Figured if it was going to overheat let it do it on the lot.. lol.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:37 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

At 165K you'll probably go to 175k with no issues.
Just drive it 5,000 miles a year.
You'll get two years out of it.
and that's enough.

Then you'll be bored of it.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jfall
At 165K you'll probably go to 175k with no issues.
Just drive it 5,000 miles a year.
You'll get two years out of it.
and that's enough.

Then you'll be bored of it.
I was hoping for a bit more than that.

200k club baby .

I wouldn't just throw money at it but short of a engine rebuild would want to keep it on the road till 220k.

I can do the head gaskets myself so do you think the odds are against me making it that far?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an '01 currently sitting at 217,000 miles. Bought it with 187k. Previous owner at some point did a coil swap on the rear, HGs had been done, green coolant. I did rebuild the driveshaft as soon as I got it home. Only thing since has been regular maintenance, besides a radiator. Still trucking.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Mudding

My last holdup is the asking price(just lowered)

kbb 2600
edmunds 1700
NADA trade in 1800/dealer retail 3600

Asking price is 3,000

Not really sure how to proceed. The market seems to support his price but none of the 3 above come close.

I don't want to offend/lowball but in you guy's opinion what would be a fair price.

Quick Reply: High mileage Disco's