Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high mileage short block

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Do everything you possibly can while it is out of the vehicle and accessible before you go thru pulling the existing one and putting in the "new" one. You will be much happier than if you shortcut on the "new" one and have to do it again because you didn't do it right the first time.
Yeah that's for sure. I will probably be able to afford about $1k in whatever I need to do with this one. My current block with 90k has a couple of slipped cylinder liners. I'm wondering if that LA Sleeve place would have been able to re-sleeve it. it could possibly be cracked though from overheating so many times.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:30 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Re-sleeving is big money.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
Bag the trip to LA and head north instead. There is a 4.6 motor in Salt Lake with 10,000 miles on it listed for $750 on KSL Classifieds. There is also a DII tranny for $500. Save the effort of the rebuild and drop in the 4.6 you will be miles and dollars ahead. Phil

1999 DI
2000 DII
2001 DII
That's great. Ill have to drive to utah and pick that one up too. You can never have too many back up short blocks for your rover. The thing is though, I just pulled the engine and transmission from my toyota and someone is meeting me in fullerton to buy the transmission for $200 while I pick up the block that I only paid $499 for...its almost like getting it for free.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by lipadj46
The LA sleeve place's website says 400-800 to sleeve 4 to 8 cylinders but I guess re-sleeving is quite a bit different.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default not really considering..

Originally Posted by lipadj46

Not really considering after spending $1,500.00 on headgaskets every 40-60,000 miles or most likely a hosed motor..you cant put a price on doing it ..."Right" ...and forgetting about it... Im have a race shop here in florida that will do it fo a grand if i suppy the sleeves...

Maybe i should start building motors ...well build them right anyway....

Last edited by vandev; 06-21-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

make sure that if you do have the block resleeved that it is done by a reputable shop with a history on Land Rovers. I saw a block this week that had been resleeved with the top hat sleeves and one of the sleeves had failed after just 5000 miles. YOu could move the sleeve with your thumb. The shop that did the machine work did not offer any sort of warranty. Good luck. Phil

Old 06-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
make sure that if you do have the block resleeved that it is done by a reputable shop with a history on Land Rovers. I saw a block this week that had been resleeved with the top hat sleeves and one of the sleeves had failed after just 5000 miles. YOu could move the sleeve with your thumb. The shop that did the machine work did not offer any sort of warranty. Good luck. Phil
That's ok because I now have experience suing mechanics, read my post on hilltop's indy mechanic listing. Stupid a-holes are land rover mechanics since 1990 yet couldn't identify a slipped liner after 3 visits and 3k dollars spent. My blood pressure is rising, I need to relax.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I checked on the 4.6 motor in Salt Lake. It is a block and heads, water pump, front cover, oil pump, valve cover gaskets and the intake are all removed, just makes things easier to see what issues there may be. $750 is a smoking deal, even if you had to ship it. (assuming that the motor is good, which the guy says that it is). Hope somebody can put it to good use. Phil

Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default aint that the truth

Originally Posted by Arizona man
That's ok because I now have experience suing mechanics, read my post on hilltop's indy mechanic listing. Stupid a-holes are land rover mechanics since 1990 yet couldn't identify a slipped liner after 3 visits and 3k dollars spent. My blood pressure is rising, I need to relax.

Aint that the truth... makes me wonder also when someone says there a LR expert mechanic.... Expert my *** if you keep puting head gaskets in POS motors over and over again...what a bunch of sh%t..... i think a top fuel motor builder would be a better choice as they are both familure with building something that most likely will blow up...

Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default here is a great example..

Here is a great example of what you can do...

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=7277

Quick Reply: high mileage short block