Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch noise at engine start

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:34 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool High pitch noise at engine start

Hello all,

I am totally new to your forum, so thanks for having me.
I am writing from Doha, Qatar. Far, far away... We are here for work. I have Disco II, V8, 2003, automatic transmission, with about 69,500 miles.

Sorry if this is a bit too long but I will try to give some more info on this situation: We just got back to Doha after a summer visit to the States (almost 8 weeks). So the car was standing here. During this time I have got a friend starting it up and moving it every week, just to keep it "alive". Now, when I start the car in the morning it gives this high pitch knocking sound (it actually sounds a bit like birds chirping) the sound will dissipate away after about 5-8 minutes. Using the throttle will intensify the sound.

A link to the a sound clip of the engine:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oii51np52vlfuc4/Memo.mp3

What do you guys think? Any ideas? Am I damaging the engine if I drive around?

Just to admit I am no mechanic. I have some limited experience and the Mechanic Manual. I will really appreciate your advice and suggestions.

All the best from the far Persian Gulf.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If the chirping is when driving consider the front drive shaft.

If parked, and varies with engine speed, consider something turned by the serpantine belt. Using a yard stick (meter stick?) you can hold flat side to ear and touch other end to various parts, like alternator, power steering pump, etc. and hear the noise much louder. Could even be an idler pulley. Belt can be removed and items turned by hand to check for rough spots.

Not sure that you would have it, but some D2 are equipped with a Secondary Air Injection system to reduce emmissions. There is an electric pump on right side of engine bay that comes on at startup, then turns off in a few minutes. Sounds like an electric hair dryer when bearings start to go.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-08-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:09 PM
4wd Low

Thank you for the rapid reply Savannah Buzz!!!
Chirping is when parked. And gradually will dissipate, when it is almost gone you can still hear it if raving the engine. It is night here now so a bit more difficult to look around. I did try to listen more carefully using a stick (as I learned previously by reading one of your forums) but didn't get any clear result. I will look if I have the SAI system, but from your description of electric hair dryer I don't think that could be it.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if it coming for the front of the engine (and it sound like it) you have a bad bearing somewhere on one of your accessory's. If you cant find it with a stick, try removing the belt and rotate everything by hand you should be able to feel that bearing dragging, don't forget the idler pulleys.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

And don't wait to do this, a seized pulley can throw the belt, or parts, and damage radiator.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 AM
4wd Low

Thanks guys!

I am about to go out and try to get to the bottom of this. I have to just wait for it to cool off and go below the 110f it is outside right now. Too hot and mostly too humid.

If I use the stick, is it going to be dead obvious where the problem coming from?

I feel like I might just have to take it to the guy from India that take care of this beast. But at least I would like to know where and what is going on.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it should be pretty obvious listing broom handle or other stick, if not remove the belts a feel the pulley as you spin them.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 PM
4wd Low
Default Thank you!

Just a quick update.

The noise came from the tensioner pulley. Had to replace that and the belt.

It is so nice to hear her running now...

Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Simple problems <3

Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

re: Simple problems

Yes, but left un-touched can leave you stranded, as other members have posted about broke down on the way to wherever, needed that same pulley or tensioner.... it is always the little stuff.

Quick Reply: High pitch noise at engine start