Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hints on replacing timing cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hints on replacing timing cover gasket

So, I'm learning quite a bit about my Discovery (2001) this year. I've replaced most of the hoses, the water pump, and now I'm looking at the gasket between the block and the timing cover. I can see the coolant bubble up here as the engine runs, so I'm pretty confident that this will finally solve my coolant issues.

I can't complain much about the other repairs, I think they were all over due to be replaced and I've got to learn quite a bit about the vehicle.

Anyway, my question to anyone who has done it. Are there any gotcha's in the job that aren't really called out in the RAVE?

I've ordered gaskets for the waterpump and timing cover, an o-ring, a front oil seal, and I'll be renting a puller to get the crank pulley off. Furthermore I'll be renting or borrowing a torque wrench for the reassemble job. Is there anything else I should think about getting? For example, i know the RAVE specifies a tool to pull and replace the front oil seal.

Thanks, you guys have been great and gotten me through tons with this Discovery and I really appreciate it.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Hints on replacing timing cover gasket

The front seal isn't too tricky, just use a socket the same size to press it in. Make sure to check the surface the seal rides on, you may have to get a sleeve for it.

Also, I have heard of people putting grease in the oil pump to help it prime. Firing it off without a prime is not good.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hints on replacing timing cover gasket

a couple of things...

i fought with the oil pan trying to get it out and back in. I ended up jacking up the drivers side of the truck only a few inches, just enough to lift the body.

i also replaced mine without a impact wrench, kinda made the crank shaft pulley intresting to remove. But i did not have to remove the radiator as the rave suggests.

To loosen the bolt i used a 1/2" socket and with the handle inside a breaker bar. then i duct taped the breaker bar to the underside of the frame on the passenger side while the socket was attached to the bolt. then bumped the ignitiona couple times. loosened it right up. worked like a charm...got the idea from another forum (one side noteDO NOTuse the afformentioned method to tighten the bolt, the starterwould snap it like a twig)

hopethat helps, lemme know how it turns out.

*just read your other posts. sounds like we did the exact same thing! replaced pump...still leaking...its irritating but sounds like you can handle it. oh and as for gasket sealer. when i ordered the pump i got the cheaper aftermarket one, it came with a paper gasket, i used sealer on that. but the second time i went to the dealer and got a rubber seal, which does not need sealer. good luck!