Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit 250,000 miles on my way to work this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Spike! A DII's got you beat!!!! The world must be ending!
He's got me beat but there is a guy with almost 270k on his DI on the DI side.
SO THERE!!!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hate to burst everyone's anticpation on my secret but..

I don't do a lot of chasing with the fluid leaks and such. It's a Disco - it leaks. Not to give anyone a plug or anything but I have mostly taken it to Jiffy Lube for oil changes. I commute anywhere from 80-200 miles a day and I just keep a close eye on the levels and fill as needed. So my theory is, frequent capping-off = cleaner fluid most of the time.

I replaced the water pump last year. Never changed any part the suspension, which I should have. It runs nice with new tires but if I don't rotate them a few of the tires will cup then I rotate them and eventually it smooths out haha. My driver's side electric seat switch caught completely melted on me a few years ago. I just took it out, never replaced it. I did have to replace my entire fuse box under the hood about 3 years ago though. I have also replaced the driver's side window regulator. Most of the stuff like that I have changed myself. My 3 amigos and my service engine lights have been on for probably 4 of the 6 years i've had the truck. if it starts running bad I just read the codes and fix whatever is causing it, but don't fix the rest of them. I've replaced the plug wires twice. One of these years I'll wise up and put in the magnacors. I've replaced the MAF twice. Right now the exhaust smells terrible ( been like that for 4 months). I need to tackle that soon. I thought the new MAF would've fixed that but it didn't.

I take it off road during hunting season and when I go metal detecting somewhere, but it's mostly light trails. It IS a snow beast though! My wife's Yukon wouldn't even move during the 2 blizzards we had, but the DII was a tank in it.

Does anyone know where I can get the white piece of molding that goes under the driver's side headlight and turn signal? You can see the piece missing in this pic. A deer took it out recently.

Attached Thumbnails Hit 250,000 miles on my way to work this morning!-536615_417123581631608_576003380_n.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

My calculations say your car has burned well over $50,000 In fuel

Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So, you were able to do this with out rotella, fancy jumbo oil filters, soft spring thermostat and trans fluid engine flushes? Could it be possible you still have dex-cool in this engine? Any one hear of a 4.6 making these kind of miles?

Last edited by 94svt50; 08-04-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 DII
I don't do a lot of chasing with the fluid leaks and such. It's a Disco - it leaks. Not to give anyone a plug or anything but I have mostly taken it to Jiffy Lube for oil changes. I commute anywhere from 80-200 miles a day and I just keep a close eye on the levels and fill as needed. So my theory is, frequent capping-off = cleaner fluid most of the time.

I replaced the water pump last year. Never changed any part the suspension, which I should have. It runs nice with new tires but if I don't rotate them a few of the tires will cup then I rotate them and eventually it smooths out haha. My driver's side electric seat switch caught completely melted on me a few years ago. I just took it out, never replaced it. I did have to replace my entire fuse box under the hood about 3 years ago though. I have also replaced the driver's side window regulator. Most of the stuff like that I have changed myself. My 3 amigos and my service engine lights have been on for probably 4 of the 6 years i've had the truck. if it starts running bad I just read the codes and fix whatever is causing it, but don't fix the rest of them. I've replaced the plug wires twice. One of these years I'll wise up and put in the magnacors. I've replaced the MAF twice. Right now the exhaust smells terrible ( been like that for 4 months). I need to tackle that soon. I thought the new MAF would've fixed that but it didn't.

I take it off road during hunting season and when I go metal detecting somewhere, but it's mostly light trails. It IS a snow beast though! My wife's Yukon wouldn't even move during the 2 blizzards we had, but the DII was a tank in it.

Does anyone know where I can get the white piece of molding that goes under the driver's side headlight and turn signal? You can see the piece missing in this pic. A deer took it out recently.
See, this is EXACTLY what I have been saying, do NOT break the bank trying to keep your truck on the road, if it leaks alittle, so what, if it makes a little noise, so what, do what needs to be done and drive the damn thing, its just a stupid truck.
Spending $500 on brake pads does nothing but lighten your wallet, spending $800 on springs so you can go to the mall does nothing but lighten your wallet, spending a months worth of wages to replace the cam and lifters and everything else that goes round and round and up and down inside the engine when it runs just fine is a waste.
Your truck does not need to be showroom new, it just has to get you where you want to go reliably.
I do not obsess over my truck, I am more picky than you about the fluids and filters but not to the point that when I go to buy a oil filter if they dont have the one I usually buy I will just buy a different one.
I use the OEM sized oil filter, cheap spark plugs, good plug wires, premium gas most of the time and go, its just a truck.

I love my truck, I do what needs to be done but I will not go broke keeping her on the road.

The people who use overpriced oil and oil filters, change it every two weeks so their truck will last forever and spend way to much money on their trucks in general are more likely to sell because "its just to expensive to keep it on the road" than someone like this guy.

Your strange exhaust smell is probably bad cats.
Since you live in a no inspection state, I'd cut them out and have "test" pipe welded in.

Last edited by Spike555; 08-04-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Amen Spike!

I changed the trans fluid myself....once. I use Valvoline, Mobil, or the better oils - not the 7-11 crap. Now I am using the high mileage oil. I mean after all, if 200,000+ isn't high miles then what is?

Ticking or pinging? Sure its has some slight low-level ticking noise, but so does my riding mower. Its ticked and pinged for years but it doesn't keep my wife from running over the tree branches and large rocks in the yard.

Lightening the wallet? Yeah, if people go chasing every little leak and try to keep up with the Jones it will definately happen. This is my tank. I treat it like a tank. I live in the country and we fix things ourselves - or give it a good attempt.

I have no idea what rotella is. Fancy jumbo oil filters, and a soft spring thermostat...NOT. Call me cheap.

Dex-cool? Nope. More like whatever decent coolant I can find when I need it. I just replace the radiator hoses (the T portion) last year. Other than that, I replace them when they start spitting. I do keep some hoses and clamps in my truck though....just in case.

Spike is right on though.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! A D2 with over 200K. That's great to hear!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

2000 DII - Pm sent.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
2000 DII - Pm sent.
I didn't see where it was for sale... LOL

Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
I didn't see where it was for sale... LOL
Anything is for sale with the right price

But I was messaging him the headlight finisher's part number.

Quick Reply: Hit 250,000 miles on my way to work this morning!