Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hold on frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 09:54 PM
Winching
Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts

I used one of those cameras too look inside and it doesn’t seem bad at all inside I even scraped around with a pick and it seems solid just the two small holes, seems logical to just patch

Old 03-31-2020, 10:43 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

If you've got solid metal, go for it.

The following users liked this post:
piperff (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 06:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,507 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I don't disageee with that.
But, as a guy who's bought a dozen of these, what does that frame back half repair say to you if you were looking to buy?
You've seen my D2, and said if you were selling it(running of course), that it would be $7k, maybe more.
Only now, the back half of my frame is toast.
It should be worth what?
Now I get a new back half. What's it worth now?
I know it's only worth what someone's willing to pay, and different areas/markets all matter.
But, hypothetically, ballpark, what do think on value?
I agree that a good repair would be ok, but I can't see it being worth as much as a D2 with a good frame, since they're still out there.
And that most people will shy away from the repair for those reasons, and would pay less.
I would pay much less for a repaired truck, or most likely not buy it at all, wouldn't you?
As long as the repair was done well, a back half would not affect my purchase decision nor my valuation. If fact, I might add additional value if the job was well done because you know it had not endured 20 years of exposure or even if it was off a donor truck, I would assume someone going to the that trouble probably took the time to use a rust converter on the inside from both ends of the back half as well as the front sections from the cut location. Additionally no one would back half a truck and not recoat the back half.

98% of buyers would not notice unless you tell them. Having sold 12, I don't think one buyer has looked under the trucks I sell. Part of that is because I do so much to them before selling they know I have left no stone unturned.

There are some with good frames, but low mileage with a good frame are getting harder and harder to find. I have been looking at and considering a rusted frame truck because I see them with very low miles out of the NE occasionally, which is hard to find on southern trucks where they are more likely to have seen lots of sun and hard use.

I don't remember your mileage, but I do remember how good it looked and I know you are going to have a lot in the engine. I still think it is at least a $6k truck, maybe as high as $9 depending on mileage. Values are going up based on what I am seeing. I continue to have more interested buyers than I have trucks and time to restore them, that said the demand is not for projects. Buyers want completely restored trucks that need nothing. Most folks not on this forum dread the steady $1-2k repair cost every time they turn around because they don't know where it ends. If you do every known failure pre-emptively, they know they have 50-75k without major issues and are willing to pay a premium for that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Extinct:
Sixpack577 (04-01-2020), whowa004 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 PM
TReK

Thanks, that's good info.
Mine has 122k miles.
I feel more considerate of a back half now.
That's definately the easiest route for me.
My Dad is a retired engineer, I know he would weld it square.
I've had everything to make mine run for a while now, just need time to finish, couple months.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
The whole back half looks easier, because it bolts on, then gets welded. So it should be easier to get square.
I've been back and forth, because my Dad can weld mine.
But, as said, is it worth the time and money?
I wouldn't buy a D2 with a back half frame repair, not only because I don't know if it's straight, will wear out tires, etc.
And even if I had no plans to sell it, that repair is going to kill it's value.
So I'll pass, and go the frame or truck swap.
When you say back “half” are you just talking about the rear section that starts behind the rear axles?

Old 04-02-2020, 12:52 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Brandon318
When you say back “half” are you just talking about the rear section that starts behind the rear axles?
Yes, and the repair parts are the boxed frame sections(left and right, 2 seperate pieces) that start above the rear axle, and extend all the way back.
The center section/hitch receiver gets reused, as that part isn't boxed and is usually ok, and fortunately mine is too.