Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Prevent Rust on Disco 2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How to Prevent Rust on Disco 2?

Good morning. Another question from the new owner. I bought my '99 Disco in SoCal, and it looks like new underneath (sorry, not rubbing it in to the folks whose truck is not).

I'm wondering - how to keep it this way? In the spring, it will travel from SoCal to Montana, Wyoming, and then across the northern tier on a cross country trip. IT will then live in Maryland. We use salt here, and we use the new pre-spray stuff (they spray the solution on the roads in advance of the snow.

I have a couple of cans of Eastwood Internal Frame Coating that I bought for my old Land Cruiser (it was too late for that old girl, so it never got used). I can always buy more of that. It is a spray can with a long tube and a brass sprayer head - you pull it through the inside of the frame while spraying. I think it is like cosmoline or Waxoiyl, as they promote it as "self-healing", so it must not ever fully cure. I do not know for sure, as I have not used it yet. That seems like a good idea for the inside of the frame.

On my old Land Cruiser FJ62, I would get under the truck 2-3 times a year with a wire brush and rust converter. By the time I sold it, the frame and floors had a nice coating of black rust converter, and had completely stopped all new corrosion. I even get under my Tundra and touch up all surface rust with the stuff, even though it might never matter. But I want to get this handled before it gets to that point.

Should I hit the frame and exposed underbody areas with some frame paint, on top of the already clean and pristine factory frame paint?

The floors look to have a factory undercoating, as opposed to paint. I know it's factory, because it was clearly sprayed on before the body was mated to the frame - no overspray anywhere.

Any other recommendations? And no, it does not leak much at all, so the normal "English Undercoating" solution will not be available (hopefully).

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and direction.

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (04-01-2020)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

por 15

The following users liked this post:
Shmockiebaby (07-30-2020)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Yup. I have used POR 15 for years! Great stuff. That's the rust converter that I used on the Land Cruiser. But it is designed to react to, and convert rust. I do not have any rust, and I'm trying to prevent it before I get to that point.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

It works as a preventer as well.. At least I've used it on rust free vehicles with no negative consequences. I sold all of them before the coating was damaged..

Old 10-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Three Wheeling

OK, thanks. I've never used it until there was rust. After a few applications, it does form a pretty thick coating - my old FJ62 was basically coated in black plastic, and never rusted again.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just sandblasted the entire chassis and coated with Por15 twice then top coated with bedliner. I'm planning on coating the inside of the frame as well.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts
Old 03-31-2020, 05:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,422 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I have read and seen good video test using fluid film brand, might want to check that out as well.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used Fluid Film for years. Works great.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:03 PM
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

How does one coat the inside of the frame?

Quick Reply: How to Prevent Rust on Disco 2?