Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

home from wheelin,,CDL issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:16 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default home from wheelin,,CDL issue

can lock in high, but will not shift into low range at all.

fix?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely its the solenoid on top of your t-case that allows you to shift from hi to low only when in neutral... if the solenoid goes bad, it wont retract, and therefore wont allow the linkage to move the internals of the t-case...

if this is the case, there is good news, all you have to do is remove the solenoid and replace the cover back onto your t-case... with the solenoid gone you should be able to shift into low and back into high...

the bad news is, its a serious bit of work to get to the thing... disco mike said his mech got to his from underneath, but had to lower the entire drivetrain, i took mine out from the top but had to drill out a lot of rivets and then repair them to get y center console back together...

Old 06-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check fuse.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You will find it is the solenoid, a pretty common issue. I had to deal with mine 2 months ago. You have 2 options, buy a new one or remove the cover remove the solenoid and throw it away then reinstall the cover.
This solenoid is just a saftey device and as long as you don't try shifting the t/case while the tranny is in gear, you won't need it.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Mine quite working one day, 1-1/2 hrs to get to and remove selonoid to find out fuse #12 was blown. That was it.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 AM
TReK

So I poped the fuse block and checked all the fuses. None are blown so I just pushed them all in and made sure they were tight in place. Got in the rig and put it in neutral and the tcase shifted right into low range and back into high. So its either a loose fuse or a failing solonoid

Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If it is the solenoid, do you know where it is and how to pull it?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
So I poped the fuse block and checked all the fuses. None are blown so I just pushed them all in and made sure they were tight in place. Got in the rig and put it in neutral and the tcase shifted right into low range and back into high. So its either a loose fuse or a failing solonoid
was the engine and t-case cold when it shifted to low? mine used to only go into low when the engine was cold, like first thing in the morning, once the motor heated up and the t-case and stuff got hot it would not go into low...

so check it with the engine cold and then drive around for a while and try it again...

if it will not go into low with the engine hot then it is the solenoid...
if thats it let us know i have a ton of pictures from when i pulled the solenoid on mine so i can try to post them up for you with some directions,...

Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 PM
TReK

So I spent the day out and about in seattle with the chica,,,I tried the tcase in high and low and it shifted cold,warm and hot. So its not to say that its not a issue with the solonoid, but it just might be dying a slow death. Also I noticed a missing hose clamp on the driver side for the hose going into the IAC or whatever its called. That might be the cause of the very random rough idle I get from time to time. All I know is after a breakfast, mariners game, coffee in seattle and salmon chowder on lake union I am friggin beat and I can't think about rover issues anymore hahaha

Old 06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it has been my experience that electrical parts just go out. the are not intermittent. it's going great one day and the next day it's out....

I know there is an exception to ever rule, but that has been my experience. FYI

Quick Reply: home from wheelin,,CDL issue