Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink conversion for aux lighting

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Homelink conversion for aux lighting

I have a couple of questions about switches to use in my attempt to convert my homelink shell (generously provided by akrover) into a switch panel for aux lighting. So far I just have to hella 500's on my brush bar but I want to have three toggle switches on the panel. I was thinking one for the brushbar, future roof lights, and a future rear work light. I know nothing about electronics and I plan on consulting an electrical engineer pal of my fathers to rig up something simple that will be easy to access under the hood, connecting to the switches for the future additions. My question is: what volt/amp switch would I need and would it matter how many lights are connected to it as in the case of roof lights? I would like to use the relays that come with the light sets but the switches are too big. Any input would be appreciated and I am posting some pics of what I have come up with so far.
Listed are the steps so far:
1. Gutted the homelink of all electronics (used size 15 to remove screws)
2. Trimmed a stainless steel light panel (I tried to outline the profile in red in the pic)
3. I am debating on bending the plate at the line to follow the profile of the homelink or just cutting it off. It might depend on the switches.
4. I am going to get a plastic plate with Front, Roof, Rear or something like that for below the switches

Attached Thumbnails Homelink conversion for aux lighting-homelink.jpg   Homelink conversion for aux lighting-underside.jpg   Homelink conversion for aux lighting-plate.jpg   Homelink conversion for aux lighting-plate_profile.jpg   Homelink conversion for aux lighting-plate_on_homelink.jpg  

Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are using the relays then any switch that has a decent amp rating should work. The switch will not be the one carrying the load since it will go through the relay, the switch will just do the activating of the switch. I would say a 20 amp/12V switch should be enough. I am not an electrical engineer or anything so I could be wrong but I have never had a switch not work for me using it with a relay.

If you want to be really slick find a catalog that has switches and electronics for police and safety vehicles. I have bought some form there that have some really cool wiring already set up for a single source line and mulitple switches. They can even come with illuminated plates saying what they are for.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:00 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

When you use a relay the switch only sees a fraction of an amp through it, just enough to close the relay. The relay pulls the main power for the lights directly from the battery. One switch can easily control multiple sets of lights with multiple relays. Switches and relays are pretty much universal so you can plug any switch you want into the wiring harness for the lights you have.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input! That helps to open up the selection. Now I just need to find some small enough but not so small that they are awkward...