Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Louvers...Good idea???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 AM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hood Louvers...Good idea???

I read so much about Rovers overheating and how the heat causes certain problems to arise besides overheating and am wondering if hood louvers would be a good idea. I think if done right they'll look ok and I don't really care too much about the look as long as they help out with the engine temp. Here's a website I'm looking at using and a few pics on someone else's discovery from the website

http://www.raceace.com/products.html

Old 08-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I think it would be a great idea, thought about it once or twice over the years just never tried it.
It would sure vent out a lot of that trapped hot air.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can find a shop that can actually punch the louvers in the hood rather than a louvered plate as those appear to be that would be even better. Even those if you used some body filler and made them smooth into the hood would look awesome. It would help get rid of a lot of the hot air but more importantly it just looks cool.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I've been thinkin of doing this exact same thing, but I'm a cheapskate...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Pai...=p4506.c0.m245

Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

I would consider louvers if I did a lot of rock crawling and off roading where you might not be getting a lot of air flow around the engine. Maybe try buying a hood off a junked Discovery, get louvers made out it like AK said, and keep your original one in storage.

BUT engine bay temp, I have no idea how hot it gets in there and how much those 20 louver slits on the hood would reduce engine bay temp. I'm sure it would. Maybe someone else here has.

Are you having problems with your cooling system? Consider getting a water temp gauge installed to keep a better eye out your coolant temperature if you are. Do not trust your stock temp gauge. it can read normal (half way) and be between 155 degrees and 230. Is that accurate? I don't think so.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 AM
KBW
Mudding

jycsalas....I haven't had any problems and am working on installing a real temp gauge but I read over and over about how many problems are caused in these rovers due to how hot they run. I do a lot of city stop, go, sit still driving and a lot of trails (this isn't my dd) so I'd like to keep the engine as cool as possible. I'm 90% sure I'm going to go ahead and do this.

Stressed out today over my Tom Woods order. I have no damn clue if I measured it precisely enough and knowing me the ds won't work.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I can't see on their web site any indication of how they prevent water from running in the vents on to your engine. Depending on where they are located, that could cause problems.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wouldn't the fender vents on current Rovers accomplish the same objective? I've been thinking of adding a pair.

http://www.jwcustomaccessories.com/S...source=froogle

Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KBW
Stressed out today over my Tom Woods order. I have no damn clue if I measured it precisely enough and knowing me the ds won't work.
KBW, you should be fine, the slip joint will compensate for any mis-measurements.

Originally Posted by Suede
Wouldn't the fender vents on current Rovers accomplish the same objective? I've been thinking of adding a pair.

Those are nice

Old 08-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this idea. What is the website where you found the first picture? I think the punch in the hood is better than bolt on always. Just looks cleaner.

Quick Reply: Hood Louvers...Good idea???