Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooked me up an Ultragauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hooked me up an Ultragauge

I picked up my Disco II a couple of months ago with 240K on it and have been puttering around without an ultragauge/scangauge since then (when I test drove it the PO had his scan gauge hoked up to it)...

The Rover has the Dexcool stuff in it and I plan to do a flush and refill with 50/50 green coolant, water pump and fan clutch but wanted to wait until I had a way of monitoring temps before doing this.

I bit the bullet and got an ultragauge ($70) and it arrived at the weekend. Basically plugged it in and was good to go with some minor set up/config.

LOVE IT! As someone who reads this forum before going to bed, I often lay awake at night paranoid that my engine is about to self destruct at any time due to a cooling system failure... Seeing cruising temps between 188-194 *F on the Ultragauge gives me that peace of mind that all is good. I'm lucky that the PO overhauled the cooling system a couple of years ago (new rad, water pump, 180*F Tstat and HGs)...

Best $70 I ever spent! and Made in the

Pardon?

Old 08-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As someone who reads this forum before going to bed, I often lay awake at night paranoid that my engine is about to self destruct at any time due to a cooling system failure...
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has those dreams...

Old 08-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I use a Scanguage II myself and it's a very handy tool like the Ultragauge. Having real time temps vs waiting on the red light of death is nice. I normally run 184-205F with an OEM 180F here in SETX. My only wish is that the Scangauge II or Ultragauge was ABS friendly, but nothing is perfect lol.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 832 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Island_Dave
The Rover has the Dexcool stuff in it and I plan to do a flush and refill with 50/50 green coolant, water pump and fan clutch but wanted to wait until I had a way of monitoring temps before doing this.
I'm lucky that the PO overhauled the cooling system a couple of years ago (new rad, water pump, 180*F Tstat and HGs)...
I too love the Ultra-Gauge, but I'm curious why you want to replace the water pump if it was done just a couple of years ago.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Mudding

Should always change the fan clutch and water pump together, plus i didnt know it was replaced so recently until after i ordered the pump...

Old 08-03-2016, 10:45 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I use a Scanguage II myself and it's a very handy tool like the Ultragauge. Having real time temps vs waiting on the red light of death is nice. I normally run 184-205F with an OEM 180F here in SETX. My only wish is that the Scangauge II or Ultragauge was ABS friendly, but nothing is perfect lol.
Those are pretty impressive temps considering the climate down there!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Mudding

The only issue I'm having with my UG is the fuel consumption calculator doesn't seem to be working properly. I suspect it's a dodgy sender as my dash fuel gauge has a mind of its own!

Old 08-03-2016, 11:46 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I'm pretty sure the UG has no way to measure fuel consumption in a Rover. Its an estimate at best which relies on you telling it when you fill the tank.

For an accurate measure of MPG you have to use the old fashioned way, math. Miles from last fill divided by gallons needed to fill.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I'm pretty sure the UG has no way to measure fuel consumption in a Rover. Its an estimate at best which relies on you telling it when you fill the tank.

For an accurate measure of MPG you have to use the old fashioned way, math. Miles from last fill divided by gallons needed to fill.
Pretty sure it pulls the signal from the fuel tank sender to determine tank level then calculates MPG from distance traveled. Hence why you have to tell the UG what the fuel tank size is when you hook it up...

Old 08-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 832 Likes on 606 Posts

Pretty sure it pulls the signal from the fuel tank sender to determine tank level then calculates MPG from distance traveled. Hence why you have to tell the UG what the fuel tank size is when you hook it up...
I don't know for certain but I'm skeptical that's the correct explanation. If the UG could read the fuel level it wouldn't need to be told when the tank is filled or how much fuel was added.

The only thing I could come up with to explain how the UG calculates mileage is that as the ECU meters the fuel going to the injectors the UG uses that info to calculate instant MPG based an vehicle speed. It also keeps track of total fuel used since the last fill-up to calc DTE.

Quick Reply: Hooked me up an Ultragauge