Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Horn Troubleshooting

Ok all, I need some help, as usual.

I just picked up a 2004 Series II to replace my totaled 2001 Disco.

There were some minor issues with it. One was a horn button that was missing. No big deal, I was going to order those replacements at $40 a pair sold on eBay.

But, the horn doesn't work. So, I ordered the horn kit from Atlantic British. In starting to scope out how hard the replacement may be, I saw that it might be the actual horn....and then the horn kit wouldn't help me.

How exactly do I trouble shoot this? I don't want to go through removing airbag (which I'm already scared of) and then find that the horn kit didn't need to be replaced....

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never done anything with a LR horn, but it can't be much different from any other car. So, I would start by unhooking the actual horn and connecting it directly to the battery to see if it works. (use a piece of wire to go from each battery post to each wire on the horn). Checking fuses and relays is a good place to start too. Do all the other buttons work on the steering wheel?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkid
Do all the other buttons work on the steering wheel?
Actually, none of the steering wheel controls work....I had originally attributed that to the factory stereo having been replaced with a POS and probably didn't buy the harness to re-aattach it to steering wheel....

Now you have me wondering about that, too!

I have ordered the factory stereo in the hopes I can restore my dashboard to original look, and not the neon Ipod playing factory it is now....

Old 12-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In that case, you might have a bad connection in the steering wheel itself. Most cars have what is called a "clock spring" which runs wires though the steering column for the steering wheel buttons and also allows the steering wheel to turn and not twist the wires up. They tend to stop working after a while because they are constantly being stretched from turning the wheel. I can't comment on a LR specifically, but I've replaced one on another car and it was very easy, you just had to get the steering wheel off (and yes the airbag would have to be taken off obviously). I would still test the horn directly (and fuses and relays) since that should be pretty easy to do.