Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hose Clamps and Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hose Clamps and Coolant Leak

In my seemingly endless journey to change my spark plugs and wires I have discovered a coolant leak and have been fouled by some hose clamps I've no idea how to remove. I've attached pictures of both the clamps in question and the coolant leak. Can someone enlighten me as to how these clamps come off and if you want the extra prize, whats the failing part that is causing my coolant leak?

Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Hose Clamps and Coolant Leak

Only way I know to remove those clamps (they connect your idle air control valve) is to cut them.

The leaking part is your throttle body. You may need one of these: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MGM000010KG.cfm

Leaking throttle body was the subject of a recall campaign. Anybody know if werldcup can still get this fixed under the recall?

I'll also note that when I tried to remove the hose from the idle air control valve to the air intake hose (today by coincidence), the fitting on the intake air hose was cracked and the act of moving the intake air hose revelaed the crack when the fitting sheared cleanly off the intake air hose. This had the salutory effect of revealing where an annoying intake whistle was coming from.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Ah, figured I'd have to cut them... Funny thing, the same hose sheared off on me as well. Some RTV and silicone tape and it was back on. Now all I have to do is pretend I didn't just glue and tape it back on.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ha! That's funny. I stuck mine back on temporarily with plenty of good old duct tape. On the upside, like I said I got rid of that annoying whistle.

I'm hoping to find a cpvc hose barb to threaded plumbing fitting in my travels that will fit tightly -- before the duct tape dries out. I figure there's plenty of room inside the intake air hose to sandwich a threaded fitting with the hose barb sticking out.

I'm also planning on a wire change in the near future. Post pictures of the plenum R&R and let us know any tricks you discover that would make it easier (the pioneers always get the arrows ).

Old 03-14-2007, 02:28 AM
Three Wheeling

There should be plenty of pictures to document it... Hopefully they aren't too embarrassing.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, you know to cut off the clamp. As for the coolant leak, this was a very common problem, Rover has made an up dated replacement kit to repair it, all pretyy straight forward.
As for replacing the plug wires, who wires are you planning on using and have you tried to work your hand back to the coil pack to see if you can remove one wire at a time instead of removing the upper half of the intake manifold?
I would also suggest you power scrub your engine prior to doing any work, easier to work on and less chance of getting dirt where you don't want it.
Mike

Old 03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Three Wheeling

I'll swing by the Rover dealership and see if their parts department can hook me up with that kit. As for the wires/plugs I have a set of Magnacor 8mm and some Bosch +4s. My other thread on this subject should shed some light onto why I am taking off the plenum. Even my girlfriend with little kid hands can't get em back there to reach the wires.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I hear what you are saying, it is a tight fit.
You will really like the difference when you are done.
Mike