Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And...hours later, it's not water pump gasket! Looks like timing cover gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huge help, all of this!

Reading and learning now...first day I've checked relies since my water pump gasket letdown....

I appreciate all the help, now I feel like I can make a plan of attack armed with some knowledge

Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by vwhammer
I made a leak tester when trying to find my coolant leak.
Here the write-up on it.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-tester-58681/

Turns out mine was also leaking at the front cover.

I would not say it was a super hard job but you do have to remove a lot of stuff which makes it seem like a big job.
go ahead and get about 10 cans of brake parts cleaner or some other suitable degreaser as you will need a bunch to get everything cleaned up for reassembly.
I cannot stress the cleanliness thing.

There are a lot of little parts that I did not order when I placed my initial order.

I did not realize that the oil pan had to come off so I had to order that and while your ordering that go ahead and get all the oil cooler line O-rings if yours has oil coolers.

You also have to unbolt the oil pick up from the front cover as well before the cover will come off.

I also had to built a crank holder tool to get the harmonic dampener bolt loose.
Here is what I did there as well.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...er-tool-59559/

Some people use the fancy clutch fan wrenches to get the clutch fan loose but I just set a 12" adjustable wrench to 36mm and squeezed it down in there on the nut and gave it a good tap with a hammer.
It will break loose easily.
There is a vid on youtube that shows the concept with a whench that someonce ground to fit the nut but the concept is the same with the adjustable wrench.
How To Remove A Land Rover Fan and Viscous Clutch Without Any Special Tools - YouTube

If you have the downloaded version of the RAVE manual then read through the entire process there before you even order parts.
Make sure you click on all the links in the steps.
That's what I did not do and that's why I had to place 3 different orders.

Either way I took my sweet time and did a few other things while I had it apart.

If you are looking for inspiration, it really made me feel like I accomplished something once it was done, drive-able and everything worked like it should.
This is what has kept me working on cars trucks and motorcycles for the last 20 years.

Good luck
vwhammer: Fabulous info!!! I'm going to read it all again, go to all the links, and probably go through it all again after that. Then carefully make a list of what I need, and what needs to be done.

Much appreciated!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me too, replaced the timing cover gasket and I've run about 80k miles since then. Biggest pain for me was getting the fan off, the rented tools were abused before they got to me.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Jawbox
Happened to me too, replaced the timing cover gasket and I've run about 80k miles since then. Biggest pain for me was getting the fan off, the rented tools were abused before they got to me.
What tools did you rent? I have a PepBoys about 40 minutes away, and have to get a ride to it...don't want to go again if it can be avoided...

My short list is pressure checker, harmonic balancer puller, harmonic balancer installer.

Anyone want to chime in on what else I might need or if I can leave off any of the above?

Thanks again. And please, keep in mind, I'm 5'2, around 110 lbs, and a weakling... it took me forever to get the right leverage to get my serpentine belt back on, to the point I was sure I was doing something wrong! I need "girl-friendly" advice! LOL

Marni

Old 06-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

no need for either the harmonic balancer puller, harmonic balancer installer the HB should slide right off and go right back on.

check to see if the front frame brace will come off, if not you will have to jack the hell out of the body to get the clearance needed to remove the sump.

Last edited by drowssap; 06-21-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Mudding

Drowssap, Appreciate the advice! Don't want to spend anything I don't have to. Nor do I want to be stuck without something I need...

All: I can order today and have delivered overnight by AB tomorrow. Can y'all check my list and see if I left anything out I'll be cursing if I don't have?

-timing chain kit (with my very likely leaking gasket!)
-oil pan gasket
-oil cooler line O-rings
-oil pan washer and bolt
-oil pan grommet

Missing anything? Getting parts here tomorrow would be great, as I can go rent tools tonight, have parts delivered tomorrow, and spend my carless weekend working this out, hopefully in time for work on Monday morning!

thank you, thank you, thankyou....

Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Baja

you will need a new front seal for the timing case cover & you will need another water pump gasket.
Oh yes a tube of Black RTV some of those bolts go into water jackets, I personally use a thin layer of rtv on almost all my gaskets

Last edited by drowssap; 06-21-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
you will need a new front seal for the timing case cover & you will need another water pump gasket.
Oh yes a tube of Black RTV some of those bolts go into water jackets, I personally use a thin layer of rtv on almost all my gaskets
Thanks for that - almost forgot water pump gasket! As for the "front seal", I'm guessing it's not the same as the gasket included in the timing chain kit? About to place order, so I'll add these 3 items. Hopefully AB rep will know what the front seal for timing case cover is, it's one thing I haven't looked up.

Invaluable info! And getting it ordered today, here tomorrow, buys me much needed time.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Baja

yes it might come in the kit, ask for Eric tell he you were referred from this site

Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Mudding

Got it! Atlantic British is sending me what I need Saturday delivery. I have a few things to source locally, like cleaner, locktite, oil and such. Now, all I have to hope is that my diagnosis is correct.

I convinced my gearhead friend to spearhead this project for me. I'll act as a great assistant, and try to disassemble as much as I can for him. I'm thinking that while I probably could do it alone, with a ton of frustration, I'm more confident if he does the muscle work, he's stronger, and more importantly, has a better grasp of an engine compartment and its components then I do.

Thanks for all your help, and I'll keep you posted on this weekends progress. You can be sure I'll be using all these posts and the RAVE to make our way through this.

Quick Reply: And...hours later, it's not water pump gasket! Looks like timing cover gasket?