Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad are 2003s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: How bad are 2003s?

pat,

where are you from?

i know the place i bought my 04 has another 04 in british green with fairly low miles.

joe

Old 01-03-2009, 12:45 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...p;cardist=7669

depending,,,

they were easy to deal with and paid several grand less then asking price from them.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: snowdude

Mines right smack dab in the middle of the vin range, never had a problem in all now 97,000 miles. if you could get a good enough deal on a 2003 in the vin range, if your really that concerned you could get a extended wareentee. i have one till 100k, payed off for my head gasket replacement, and new heater blower =) . warentees for a 03 go from $1900 - $2900
Sounds like it has been awhile since you bought your service contract, prices for a good policy have gown thru the roof or they are no longer writing them.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I really like the British Racing Green on the Disco. That's what my D1 is and I couldn't think of a better color for a British vehicle.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a stout looking rig. Unfortunately, I think it's about as far as possible from me within the 48 states.

The deal breaker though, is that it's an "S"- no sunroofs, among other things.

Thanks for the link though! I'm really hoping this burgandy one doesn't sell at whatever auction it went to. I can't believe they wouldn't pull it for me. I guarantee they won't get retail at the auction, and I told him I'd pay asking price.

You guys would have patted me on the back if you could have saw the way I worked this one, though.

Act I

I get Mandy excited about owning a Disco, and we take our Insurance money Disco shopping, and I show her the "quality" you get from a $5k Disco II w/80-100k miles. Yuck. After 2 days of looking and her test driving...

Act II

"Well babe, I guess we're not going to be able to get a Disco for this amount. So, we can either get one of these $3 or $4k Cherokees with 100k miles on them, or if you want, you can have MY Land Rover (don't forget- heated seats and front window defroster!), and I'll just try to find another one. Of course, I'd have to put some money with the insurance money, but then we'd both have REALLY nice vehicles that would last probably 5 or 6 years."

"You'd give your Land Rover up?"

"Well, if you would have had anti-locks, you never would have rolled the Jeep... so it's almost worth it to me. Besides, i'll bet if I look hard I can find another one for cheap."

Act III

I look for two days. We talk more and more frequently how awesome it will be for her to have my Disco. By last night, she literally said (of a $14K Disco) "I hope you can get this one so I can have yours!!!"

Act IV

Muhuhahahahhahaha! Though this is how it went down, we really did work together on the decision. It's funny though, because she is the most anti-expensive-car person I know, and it took about 2 weeks to go from "Let's just get a cheap Cherokee again" to "Spend ten more thousand on that Disco, please!"

Thanks Land Rover. I love it.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You are hooked, I LOVE IT!
Take your time Pat, if you have to drive your piece of crap truck until you find the right one then so be it.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is what you do Pat, buy Mandy a Freelander, you drive the Disco.
The Freelander will get better MPG, it's the size of a RAV4, thats all she needs and then when you guys go on trips or have kids take the Disco.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See, my situation is the complete opposite of yours. Somehow, my buying a Disco for me has now turned into looking for an LR3 for my wife because she steals my truck all the time as it is. Right now she's driving a '01 Chrysler Sebring that sounds like it's gonna sling a valve out the hood every time you crank it. She hates driving that car, I hate working on it, so we've decided with my next bonus and the money she saves up, we're gonna buy her an LR3.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:10 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally don't see not having sunroofs as a problem. LR sunroofs are extremely picky about any dirt in the track and can be expensive to repair. I've already decided that my next Disco won't have sunroofs as much as I like them just because they are a pain to maintain.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful buying one off of Ebay. I bought a 2001 that was totally misrepresented as in excellent condition. The pictures looked good and the seller had good feedback. This one had missfires, cracked front bumper and major oil leaks. After I bought mine someone left negative feedback against the seller for misrepresenting. I was able to get the seller to refund my money minus the Ebay listing fee. The other guy was not as lucky. Ibought a nice 97 this week from a one owner.

Quick Reply: How bad are 2003s?