Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:00 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is it?

During my relocation to Canada my 99 DII had a major malfuction. I wasn't in it when it broke down but my wife and son explain the situation as the whole truck started to vibrate so they pulled over immediately and upon shutting it down oil poured out of it. Since we were in the middle of no-where and I needed to report to my duty station (I'm USAF), I found a U-Haul truck/trailer and towed it to Canada. I started the truck long enough to get it on and off the trailer. During that time I noticed a grinding noise when I gave it gas. From my searches, I suspect that its the oil pump. Is the engine toast too?

After months of research and shopping around, I purchased a 99 DII with immaculate maintenance records and out of the range of the oil pump failure serial numbers. What did I miss?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Winching

Are you sure its engine oil and that its coming from where the oil pump is located. You never know, it could be transmission fluid or transfer case oil. Most likely it is the oil pump ring but I want to rule out the transmission and transfer case before.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah, that sucks man! Easy enough to check up on the oil pump in a Rover though, as it's located right on the front of the engine just above the front of the oil pan.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, you need to verify what is leaking, engine oil or tranny fluid from your drive shaft failing and knocking a hole in the tranny????????

Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

im with mike i think the drive shaft failed and put a hole in the tranny and/or TC but you need to get under and look around.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Drifting

The drive shaft and transmission are ok but there is no oil in the engine. So, what do you think?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

did you have a jiffy lube change the oil recently? just making sure the oil plug is there....

after that i would check the oil pump out.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to find out were the oil came from. Could have the oil filter failed and came off or blown the gasket on it, is there a gaping hole in the pan. If you drove it off the trailer you should have been able to feel if there was a piston missing and banging around in there.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look for where its coming from..if you cant find it the only thing I can think of is go buy some cheap oil pour it in, start up engine and see where it leaks from.

if it all came out that fast there has to be a big hole somewhere

Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Finally a diagnosis...a faulty oil filter. Anyone ever have a oil filter go bad? It was a Mobil 1 extended performance. Anyway, I was upset to hear that news after paying good money to tow it but I also learned that the drive shaft that I had rebuilt was the source of the grinding noise that I heard. So, if the oil filter hadn't failed, the drive shaft could have taken my tranny out and I'd be even deeper in the hole.

Thank you Disco Gods!

Quick Reply: How bad is it?