Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can you tell if your DII is pre-wired for AUX lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can you tell if your DII is pre-wired for AUX lights?

Hey folks,
Looking to install some HID Aux Lights on an OEM brush bar... well long story short after ordering everything i decided to take off the grill in anticipation of there arrival and low and behold it appears as if there are factory wiring in place purple/gray connectors with black and purple wires running into them... I checked in the fuse box and there is also a relay in the AUX position. What do i need to do to use these connections? Just buy a Aux 2 switch and plug them in and connect the lights? What spot on the binnacle would the driving lights harness tie into? Is that all it takes? I know that Glider had offered this as a solution before and cant thank them enough, but i was hoping that i could get some more clarification.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the switch from the Rover dealership for about $24.00 as I recall. It goes in the slot under your rear fog lamp switch. If you pull the blank under that switch, the wiring connector should be plugged into the blank. Then you will need to get the ECU programmed to turn on the accessory - also at the dealership. If you have the relay, all you need to do is connect the switch and tell the ECU to activate it.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do just certain models have the wiring?

does the S have the wiring?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the binacle blank on the left side under your rear foglamp switch - that blank should have a wiring connector plugged in which will be for the auxilliary lights. If it isn't plugged in, shine a flashlight in there and see if you can see it. If it is there, you are wired, if not.....

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling

I tried to ask the Land Rover dealership about reprogramming the ecu for the lights and they didnt have a clue what i was talking about? Is there a different way to phrase it? Is this something that they should know about, or do often? Also, with the connector in the grill, the purple lead is the hot/red & black/black?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The AUX wiring is NOT in the factory fusebox, its an "additional" relay module that bolts to the end of the fusebox in the engine bay, it should also have its "own" fuse there.

The car does not need to be "told" by a diagnostic tool about the AUX lights, its only the front fogs that are controlled by the BCU and "can" require enabling.

I personally would not bother with the land rover "kit", its inherently unreliable and will drive you nuts!!.

By all means keep it neat and use a factoy switch, BUT the factory switch is momentary so cannot be used as such, so what you do is buy a cruise control switch which is "latching", and a AUX light switch, you then carefully swap the faceplates over so you have a latching AUX light switch, and then wire them in from there, just use a standard 4 pin relay, use the High beam to "enable" the relay, and then just "break" the high beam feed to the relay "through" the switch.

This will enable you to have them on or off with high beam, if the switch is in, then they will flash with the headlight flash, and come on with high beam automatically, if the switch is out then its down to you to turn them on.

heres my write up on it, when I binned he factory AUX light control box as it was rubbish!!!........theres a few piccys of what it looks like so you should be able to see if you have it or not (I suspect not)
http://www.discovery2.co.uk/spots.html

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 10-07-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Three Wheeling

If it isnt prewired how can i account for the leads behind the grill that connect to the head light assembly and two additional lighting hook up under the cowling (which seem to have a push button switch mounted to the firewall)? Yet there is no large relay box?

Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put it this way, "if" it had the factory AUX light kit, you would already have the switch on the dash.......

It may have had lights in the past installed by a previous owner, but removed later on, who knows, There is several plugs behind the lights / grille area on a Disco and I still dont know what some of them are for.

Pictures speak a 1000 words, take a few and lets have a look.

If you think those wires are already setup, then simply use a voltage meter and see if and when they become live.

The problem with using "unknown" wiring is you dont know who and how they did it, when installing AUX lights its crucial they are isntalled with the correct cable gauge / relay / fuse as per light power rating so you know its all done correctly.