Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change the trans fluid on a DII

Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trans fluid

Quick question: If I recently had the torque converter replaced, can I assume the fluid had to be drained and replaced as well?

thanks, J

Old 10-02-2009, 09:21 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
No you cannot drain out all the ATF, there are nooks and crannys and the tourqe convertor and the filter that will still hold fluid.
Draining it such as I did only removes maybe half of the old fluid, as long as this is done regulary there is no problem.
If you want you can change the fluid, drive it for a week, change it again and then you will replace more of it that way.
Most quick lubes have the machine that with exchange all the fluid as well as mechaninc's.
The quick lube will charge you around $100, a mechanic will charge you more.
Honestly though, as long as you change the fluid every 30,000 miles and the filter every 60,000 miles the transmision will last as long as the rest of the truck.
That's pretty good.
Good post. I appreciate it
Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks this helped me. i used Valvoline ATF.

i was only able to get about 4 quarts in at first. went through the gears, and then was able to get in another quart. went through the gears, and when i pulled the plug it was pouring out, so i called it good at 5 quarts.

Last edited by oysterhead; 10-04-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Three Wheeling

I just did my filter & fluid replacement lastnight. A very easy job to do with the instruction provided. It took a total of about an 1.5 hours. If anyone is looking to do this, I have found a Landrover parts dealer here in Houston that has the filter kits for $20 and to have it shipped was like $8. Not a bad price considering what the dealership want for this kit. So hopefully with this solves my M & S light issues ( transmission limp mode ) that I was told could be the problem. We'll see tonight when I take her for a drive.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Winching

so the filter part is easy?

i had heard it's best left for a mechanic. (?)

Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Three Wheeling

oysterhead the filter change out is extremely easy. Everything is easy access & the filter it held on by 3 little hex head screws. I made my application an ease with my cordless drill. I put a 6'' - 1/4'' extension into my drill put the 7/16'' socket on the end and zip, zip the pan was off ( after I drained the fluid ). And then the filter is right there for access. Glad I did this, my fluid was chocolate red/brown in color.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Winching

i just changed my fluid.

to get the filter, does fluid leak everywhere

i.e., was the fluid I just put in a waste?

Old 10-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoveryHouston
I just did my filter & fluid replacement lastnight. A very easy job to do with the instruction provided. It took a total of about an 1.5 hours. If anyone is looking to do this, I have found a Landrover parts dealer here in Houston that has the filter kits for $20 and to have it shipped was like $8. Not a bad price considering what the dealership want for this kit. So hopefully with this solves my M & S light issues ( transmission limp mode ) that I was told could be the problem. We'll see tonight when I take her for a drive.
Do you have a name and number for them? Thanks-

Old 10-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Three Wheeling

oysterhead, once you pull the drain plug and let it drain for 5 minutes or so you good to pull the pan. Unscrew the 6 screws holding the pan and you good. Now once you move the pan out of the way, your going to have residual fluid bubble along the veins of the transmission and what not. I just got a lint free cloth and dabbed the area lightly so that I wouldnt get a nice drip in the eye lid. When you remove the filter its going to have alittle inside it, but nothing like the pan holds. I promise you its a simple operation.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Three Wheeling

rj95lss if you go to ebay and type in item number: 360189803567 you'll see the kit. They have 9 left as of right now. They are located just up the road from and have extremely fast shipping. And plus its a factory part for half the price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change the trans fluid on a DII