Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check ATF level 1 day after jo b done

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to check ATF level 1 day after jo b done

Guys, Did the auto tranny filter change job yesterday, and now I'd like to check if the fluid level is good. How do I procede??? Is it as simple as just removing the oil filler cap when the engine is cold and not running, or do I have to go trough all the circus of starting the engine and going trough all the gears...... My Rave CD has a procedure for the fluid check of the t-case and manual gear box, but no procedure to check the auto gear box.

Thanks,

Darover.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: How to check ATF level 1 day after jo b done

Check the tranny when warm with the engine running while in Park.
Question, why did you change your tranny filter, they only get changed on the 30K service?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Cause although the dealer had a record of a tranny service at around 20 000 miles, they could not confirm that the filter changehad ever been done. And by the looks of the filter, I doubt it. It was covered in residue.

Anyways, dropped the pan, changed the filter and filled with Mobil1 synthetic ATF. Reason for asking today, is that the truck has been sitting overnight and is now cold. Not knowing better, I dove under and removed the fill plug to see if the level was right (since I had done the job at a friend's garage and hadn't seen the amount of oil going in, since I was the one in the truck. all I know, is that he forced the last amount in with a tube filler, and hurried in installing back the filler nut. So I was afraid to be over filled). So I removed the filler plug, and it started pouring the size of a finger, like not just leaking out. So I panicked and reinstalled the filler nut and am now wondering if it was overfilled, or did I just remove too much by not checking the fluid in proper procedure.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So if I get this right, when doing the initial fill up, you have to do it while the engine is running and the tranny is cold, by not running it during the fillup, but by applying the brakes and going trough the gears. And thereafter, when checking the level, the transmission has to be warm, in parkwith the engine running. Am I getting this right??

Also, how warm does the tranny fluid get ?? wouldn't want to get burned.

thanks again!

Old 10-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the engine is not running, the oil will not be circulating, so most of the atf is sitting in the pan. That is why when you pull the filler plug about 2 quarts will pour out. Allautomatics must be checked with the engine running and in park (shifting through the gears helps circulate the atf). This gives youa measurement of the amount of atf in the whole transmission, not just what dumped back into the pan.

I just changed the fluid in my LR yesterday. I filled the pan with the engine running until a 2mm bead (a big spagetti string) started pouring out of the filler hole and then put the plug in. Temperature usually makes a difference, but I'm not sure how much... I only idled the engine for maybe 5 minutes when I topped it off. On my mercedes, the atf temp. has to be right at (I think) 70 degrees C when you check it....

Oh yeah, doing the intital fill up, I would fill the pan first with the engine off until it starts running out the hole (about 4 quarts), then add the rest with the engine running (about 2 more quarts) and run through the gears.

Does the atf need to be at operating temp (about 20 min. of driving)to check it correctly? Seems like checking it cold would result in too much fluid, which is usually worse than too little...

Old 10-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

All right, went for a 20 minutes highway ride and then got home, left the engine running, put the tranny in park and removed the filler nut.

I had a nice little flow of oil coming out, so I re-installed the filler nut and am calling it done. That oil does gethot though, cause when I removed the nut, with my luck, the washer fell on the ground and I had to cover the hole with my finger to avoid losing too much oil. OUCH! anyways, I don't think I ever put a washer on a nut that fast beforeand single handedly I might add.

Still wondering about the oil level though. Cause all together, that makes approximately 4 liters ( 4.2 quarts) to refill the tranny after a filter change. 2 quarts when cold to fill the oil pan, and another 2.5 quarts to fill ( some of it forced) while the tranny was cold with the proper procedure( going trough gears with foot on the brake) and then the amount that was dropped when I checked it this morning.

So can someone confirm that after a 20 minutes highway ride and checking itupon arrival wwith the trannyon park while the engine is still running and having a consitant 1/8 inch flow of oil comong out the fill holemeans the level is perfect.

Thanks again. You know, I've learned with these vehicles and all others for that matter, that your better off asking 2 to 3 times, than assuming and end up with humongus problems. Especially when out of warranty.

Thanks again.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Bump, anybody....Mike ???

Old 10-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

From COLD, start your engine, put it in drive then reverse 2 times then to park and check your fluid with the engine running.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Quote:Check the tranny when warm with the engine running while in Park.

Quote:From COLD, start your engine, put it in drive then reverse 2 times then to park and check your fluid with the engine running.

Now, you got me confused Mike

Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Warm, not operating temp hot.
So for the most accurate temp check it from cold, start up the engine and shift drive to reverse, that just gets the fluid flowing with out getting it too hot.

Quick Reply: How to check ATF level 1 day after jo b done