Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Diagnose Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Diagnose Vibration

In my wife's disco there is a significant vibration while accelerating. It stops if you let off the gas. There is also a clunk which I think is slop in the thrive line or the transfer case as you get on or let off the gas.

I've read about the failing front shaft. Is there any way to determine if this is actually the cause with out just replacing it?

Thanks

Eric

Old 04-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Get underneath and try to wiggle the u joints and look for wear. There should be no play.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by LolisDisco
In my wife's disco there is a significant vibration while accelerating. It stops if you let off the gas. There is also a clunk which I think is slop in the thrive line or the transfer case as you get on or let off the gas.

I've read about the failing front shaft. Is there any way to determine if this is actually the cause with out just replacing it?

Thanks

Eric
Jack up the truck and crawl underneath whilst holding the tx output flange at the front twist the driveshaft back and forth then do the same at the opposite differential end, if there's any play at all or movement in the shaft UJ's it's on it's way out. Do the same at the rear end of the truck and inspect the rotoflex rubber UJ at the differential for cracks and perishing.

How many miles on the truck or since the driveshaft was rebuilt/replaced? if it's around 100K it probably needs replacing as the grease will have disappeared and with the V8 the grease dries up far quicker.

Ignoring the issue isn't an option unless you are really rich and want a huge bill when the driveshaft finally goes bang . If there's no play in the driveshafts it may be the TX or even differential pinion bearings at one or both ends.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Drifting

Can I do all of these checks with the truck up on ramps or do I have to do it on jack stands?

Thanks

Eric

Old 04-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There will be play in the tcase, you will be able to rotate it quite a bit actually. If there is any vertical play on the double cardon side driveshaft flange its your tcase bearing.

You can check for play on ramps. its just easier on a jackstand, as you can put the truck in neutral and lift a tire and spin the shaft and check for play easier.

Last edited by Dane!; 04-25-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Drifting

Well I crawled under and this is what I found:

Name:  imagejpg1-1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  imagejpg2.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  54.5 KB

If I can get the parts is this a DIY job or do I need a shop to do it?

Thanks
Eric

Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people rebuild their own. I chose a shop that rebuilds drive shafts. I wanted it done in a timely fashion. Get the greasable u-joints and centering ball kit.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You can rebuild it. good thing you found that!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Drifting

I looked at Antmans tutorial. I can't understand why this takes 12 hours.

It's been a while but don't you just take out the circlips, remove tha disc under neath and press the unjoint out with a socket in a large bench vice?

I can see the centering ball takes a small puller. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Eric

Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I just hammered the hell out of it, and grab my old dirt bike tire tool and pulled the bearing out that way. Then I properly installed the rest of the stuff. Took me like 3 hours to finish, but that's some real shade-tree mechanic stuff lol.

Quick Reply: How to Diagnose Vibration