Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable daytime headlamps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:53 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable daytime headlamps?

Hi all,

I have had my first Disco II for almost a year now. It is an '04 HSE in Adriatic blue with black interior. It is pushing 160K miles and overall in great shape. The prior owner spent a lot of $$$ on getting the drive train, front end, and other key areas squared away. There were a few minor things that needed help that I have been able to resolve with the excellent information here in this forum. I still have intermittent 3 amigos to solve, but I'm pretty sure it is a bad sensor and I have not pulled the codes to know which one. Anyway... I digress.

So to my question: Is there any way, other then a diagnostic computer, to disable the full time day time headlamps? From what I can tell this was a default "feature" on UK and Canadian cars, but it does not seem to be on by default for the US market. I am at least the 3rd owner of the vehicle and at some point someone seems to have enabled this. That is fine, but I want it OFF.

To be a bit more specific here are some details on what I am seeing:
- Headlights are off when in park
- The low beam lights (only) come on at full power as soon as the car is placed in drive
- The dash panel stays on at day time levels of illumination
- Hi beams will not turn and stay on in this mode (not that I want them to)
- Turning on the lights via the stalk turns on the rest of the lights and the high-beams work as expected. The dash panel dims as expected.

So my desire is for them to just turn on only and work as normal when I switch them on via the stalk switch. You know, like a normal vehicle. I simply don't want the mandatory daytime running light feature. You might ask why, and the answer is simple. I am sick to death at having to buy and replace the H7 bulbs every 3 months. Running them all the time at full power is just eating them up!

I have searched this and other forums to see if there is some super secret steps to disable these but no luck. I have also looked over Rave. I certainly know there must be some way since I seem to be the only Disco II in Colorado Springs that has them on!

Bottom line I love the car, but really wish this feature would go away.

Thanks in advance.

Flem

Last edited by Flemjasmo; 03-01-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Might be a way if you look at the wiring diagram in RAVE but the easiest way of coarse is with something like a nanotech or hawkeye. If you plan on keeping it for a while I highly recommend an advanced scan tool. Youll need the advanced tool to diagnose that 3 amigo issue as well,

Last edited by GCBurke; 03-01-2019 at 11:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Flemjasmo (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 11:54 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there was some kind of back door to turn this off, but maybe not.

Is this the hawkeye unit you are referring to:
Hawkeye Diagnostic Tool for Land Rovers - D.A.P.

It looks like it runs around $400, but certainly does a lot more than just pull/reset ABS codes like the $200 ABS Amigo does. Anyone know for sure if this headlamp feature is programmable via the hawkeye? Looking at it's detailed feature list it does not seem to call out "lighting control" specifically as one of the areas for the Discovery II. Or would it fall under "security" and the "Valeo BCU"?

http://daproverparts.com/Land_Rover_...ation_Data.pdf

I would just hate to buy it and it not address the issue in hand.

Thanks,
Flem

Old 03-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Give Atlantic British a call. They sell them and probably have some who knows.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:06 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

the earlier years of the d2 (pre-facelift) allowed for the addition of a resistor so that the drl's ran with lower output, preserving the bulb life. not sure if there is the capability to add a resistor to the facelift years.
the d2 electrical library says that relays 5 and 6 in the passenger compartment fusebox are for the drl. try removing those to see if that stops them but be sure that your other headlight functions remain.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:37 PM
7th Gear

Good advice on both fronts. I will take a look at the relays first maybe I'll get lucky. I also like the idea of the resistor and keeping these on at a reasonable lower power. I don't mind them being on as long as they don't keep killing the bulbs so fast. If that doesn't pan out then I will call Atlantic British to get their take on possible other options.

Flem

Old 03-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

You could also slap in a pair of LED H7’s. I know the Nanocom Unit can program all sorts of things in the BCU. I’ve been able to make my front fogs come on with any beam vs low beam.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:59 PM
7th Gear

Maybe I'll look at LED's next time. I just dropped in another set of Phillips last night.

Happen to have a link to the info Nanocom unit handy?

Old 03-01-2019, 05:31 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts
Old 03-01-2019, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Weird that you have issues with bulbs burning out and none of us Canadians do.

Quick Reply: How to disable daytime headlamps?