Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I check for SLS, ACE, and others

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I check for SLS, ACE, and others

Looking into an 01 Disco. How can I check to see if it has SLS, ACE, Hill decent, and any other addons.

It is an SE model, I looked under the back of the car - it has regular springs and shocks - not air shocks - does that rule out SLS ? How important is SLS safety wise - if I wont be doing any serious off roading - is it something to holdout for ?

What other extras were available on the SE model ?

I checked the drivers door - says it was made in 08/00 so I am assuming it has CDL (accessible from under the car)

I wish the one I am looking at had the jump seats...

Thanks

Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

SLS will have air bags, if this one has shocks and springs, it either didn't have it, or it has been replaced with springs and shocks.

ACE is most easily identified my an extra pump above the power steering pump and a split reservoir for the power steering (1/2 ps, 1/2 ACE)

All D2s have hill descent.

08/00 will have the CDL nipple unless the transfer case has been changed.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by msm15
Looking into an 01 Disco. How can I check to see if it has SLS, ACE, Hill decent, and any other addons.

It is an SE model, I looked under the back of the car - it has regular springs and shocks - not air shocks - does that rule out SLS ? How important is SLS safety wise - if I wont be doing any serious off roading - is it something to holdout for ?

What other extras were available on the SE model ?

I checked the drivers door - says it was made in 08/00 so I am assuming it has CDL (accessible from under the car)

I wish the one I am looking at had the jump seats...

Thanks
If you want 7 seats look for an SE7.

I dont know that SLS or coil springs has anything to do with safety. I have a HSE with SLS rear air springs. I've heard the air rides better or that is said often here on the forum. But my girlfriends mom has a SE with rear coils. It seems to ride well too. The advantage of SLS is the ability to raise the the rear height for a greater departure angle when off roading, so the rear bumper does not scrape. An easy way to tell if the Rover you are looking at has rear SLS is to look for the button under the hill decent control(yellow). It shows the Rover icon with a up arrow to raise the rear end. The rear air springs will not rise when the button is push unless all doors are closed. If you faster than 10mph it will automatically lower the height. Also if you tow a lot you can get a green Key Fob programmed to lower the rear to ease hitching a trailer.

Lower left corner is the height switch
OEM LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 2 DASH SWITCH PANEL FOG CRUISE

The super cool EAS rear height key FOB
Land Rover Discovery 2 / II - Suspension / EAS Remote

Last edited by bosshogt; 02-01-2011 at 12:33 AM.