Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check, double check,and tripple check!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Check, double check,and tripple check!

This is what happens when you assume something and don't check for specs when working on internals.

Always remember to read the RAVE thoroughly and double check on the forums or with someone who has done the job.

This guy set out to fix a leaky front cover and while in there decided to swap the timing chain, water pump, and oil pump. He did not put the engine at TDC before installing the chain and cranked the engine several times before realizing there is an issue.

In the end he broke the cam shaft, ruined the rockers and rods, and isn't sure if the crank works anymore.

Attached Thumbnails Check, double check,and tripple check!-1779871_759578924054038_1998895740_n.jpg   Check, double check,and tripple check!-1939797_759578964054034_1996269103_n.jpg   Check, double check,and tripple check!-1948195_759578967387367_404791581_n.jpg  

Last edited by FlyingZebra34; 02-22-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
This is what happens when you assume something and don't check for specs when working on internals.

Always remember to read the RAVE thoroughly and double check on the forums or with someone who has done the job.

This guy set out to fix a leaky front cover and while in there decided to swap the timing chain, water pump, and oil pump. He did not put the engine at TDC before installing the chain and cranked the engine several times before realizing there is an issue.

In the end he broke the cam shaft, ruined the rockers and rods, and isn't sure if the crank works anymore.
looks a bit of a sorry state. I feel sorry for the poor guy. It would have been cheaper in the long run to have installed a reman. It's like the old addage "measure twice and cut once" which sometimes I've failed to do at my own cost.

I always say to my wife please don't interrupt when I'm doing something critical when concentration is paramount until I get to a point where it's possible to stop. Many times I've been doing online banking and transfers and my wife comes into the office and starts yakking away and I have to say what I'm doing and I need to finish that task first. Then I get the retort "you're so rude why didn't you say what you were doing in the first place"............right, I just did , but.........hey ho, too late now.

As you say, check out what you are going to do carefully first and if unsure check with others who may know. I often print off pages of the RAVE manual or from a forum just as a reminder and check list when doing work for the first time or infrequently, it pays off even if it wastes paper.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"This guy set out to fix a leaky front cover and while in there decided to swap the timing chain, water pump, and oil pump. He did not put the engine at TDC before installing the chain and cranked the engine several times before realizing there is an issue."
"In the end he broke the cam shaft, ruined the rockers and rods, and isn't sure if the crank works anymore."

OOOOppps, I almost did that sort of trick too, back in the early 1960s, when I was full of energy, enthusiastic, young, and foolish. Fortunately, my dad was standing nearby, guiding me before something tragic would happen. I learned at least enough to be super careful to NOT do something like this; thanks to my good old dad. Too many guys today, don't know squat about working on automotive, and they repeat horror stories such as this. Good part is that the vast majority of them will never do this sort of thing twice---due to natural selection and the learning curve-----LOL.