Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if the tranny is getting ready to let loose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts
Default How do I know if the tranny is getting ready to let loose?

’00 D2 with 160k on the clock.

I did a service a year ago and 15k miles to include a filter and fluid. Driveshafts are GBR and in great shape.

So what is happening is there is a very subtle kinda bucking in top gear and the torque converter engaged. I initially thought it was the wind from the rack, but it seems to happen a bit too frequently to be that. I slowed to 55 mph on the freeway and put it in 3rd and let the torque converter engage again and it didn’t seem to do it. I dogged it pretty hard and let the revs run way up and no slipping during shifts. The engine is running immaculate- even when I rev the heck out of it in neutral.

I’ve got a 1500 mile trip in a couple days and I am a bit nervous now to take it. Any ideas?

Old 02-09-2019, 05:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

What did the fluid look like at last change interval? I know you have that thing loaded down for bear sometimes, so seeing an issue with that many miles and considering work load...it may be on its way out. Strange noises and slight hick-ups are usually a sign something is about to leave you stranded.

You could drop the fluid and check for abnormalities.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Could it be a misfire?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
What did the fluid look like at last change interval? I know you have that thing loaded down for bear sometimes, so seeing an issue with that many miles and considering work load...it may be on its way out. Strange noises and slight hick-ups are usually a sign something is about to leave you stranded.

You could drop the fluid and check for abnormalities.

​​​​​​​ Brian.
I forgot to mention, the fluid that came out was perfect. And it doesn’t leak a drop. There are no noises- at least new ones, or different than my last Disco- and it shift perfectly under normal driving as well as hard shifting. Zero slipping. It shifts up at normal intervals.

Could i I just be being paranoid? I really wanted to take it as opposed to the Jeep for a bike pick up, but I don’t want to deal with the hassle if the Disco tanks.

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
Could it be a misfire?
i thought this too, but zero codes, runs immaculate, and temp and oil pressure are perfect.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
Could it be a misfire?
Well, I’m kinda dumb. Just got P0300... and off to exercise my Google fu I go.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So I did the Seafoam in the brake booster line deal and it sure gave the Disco a heck of an Italian tune up. Holy smoke Batman! I hooked up the nanocom and looked for misfires and prior to the seafoam and when I got on the freeway I had a SLEW of misfires on Cylinder 6. After the Seafoam not near as many, but there were still a few.

My thoughts are that makes this a fueling issue (clogged injector or air leak at the O Ring) as opposed to a spark issue.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

How long has it been since a "real" tune up? Did you have multiple misfires on both banks or just one side? Number 6 is the only persistent one? Might want to check fuel pressure, if other cylinders are showing misfire codes...especially if this is mainly happening at highway speeds.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
How long has it been since a "real" tune up? Did you have multiple misfires on both banks or just one side? Number 6 is the only persistent one? Might want to check fuel pressure, if other cylinders are showing misfire codes...especially if this is mainly happening at highway speeds.

Brian.
Good points, Brian. The plug wires most certainly have been replaced (I need to look and see what the brand is- they are smurfy blue). I’ve never replaced the plugs, but will pull cylinder 6 just to see. I’ve not done coil packs, but I don’t think that only one cylinder would be causing a pack to be bad. If everything else fails and I end up doing packs, Gerry is getting a call. I’ve not done O2 sensors, and I’ve replaced the MAF with a used one and cleaned that one once.

But in the pic I got a single misfire on Cylinder 3 , and I never saw another one. Prior to the Seafoam, and accelerating hard I got up to 35 on Cylinder 6. After the Seafoam, never another on Cylinder 3, and never over 5 on Cylinder 6.

I’m going out and pull the Cylinder 6 plug and inspect, and then research how to check fuel pressure- I know there is a shredder valve in there somewhere. I’ll report back after that on what I see.

​​​​​​​

Old 02-10-2019, 11:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I just went out and pulled the #6 and #5 plugs and they both looked like this and had gaps of .43 and .46 respectively. I’m OK with that.

I’m still on that this is a fuel issue. I just added a can of seafoam to the gas tank and will do another when I fill up next time. It’s still cold enough that I don’t really feel like pulling the intake manifold.

I’ve not checked fuel pressure primarily because I don’t have the tool an don’t feel like spending $80 on one at this moment.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I stopped by GBR and Tom scared the hell out of me and said with a misfire on Cylinder 6 it could be a cracked block!

So as soon as I left the office I stopped by the parts store and got the test kit. PHEW!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: How do I know if the tranny is getting ready to let loose?