Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do i recharge the freon on my 2001 disco?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i recharge the freon on my 2001 disco?

So i recently changed the ac compressor on my 2001 land rover discovery because it would stick when leaving it on and restarting the car making a horrible screech.
As i removed one of the hoses all my freon leaked out so now i want to know where i can refill it if i bought my own tank of r134. Also if i could get help with the amount or pressure i should put.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by filthydisco01
So i recently changed the ac compressor on my 2001 land rover discovery because it would stick when leaving it on and restarting the car making a horrible screech.
As i removed one of the hoses all my freon leaked out so now i want to know where i can refill it if i bought my own tank of r134. Also if i could get help with the amount or pressure i should put.
Recharging the system is a non complicated procedure. However, there are few very important steps that must be performed using special equipment. Since you have opened the system to the atmosphere - you have inadvertently introduced non-condensibles. These non-condensibles need to be removed for the system to operate effectively.

Enter the need for a vacuum pump. A vacuum pump does just that, it draws a vacuum and at the same time removes all non-condensibles, moisture, contaminates, etc from the system.

Let me back up a bit. Before drawing a vacuum it is highly suggested to remove and replace your filter dryer. Once new dryer is fitted then proceed to pull and vacuum.

Once you have reached a vacuum of ~30in Hg. Let it hold for approximately 30minutes - if it holds and you have verified no leaks - Break out your refrigerant scale and weigh in the proper amount of R-134a. Operate the A/C system and enjoy the cold air.

I recommend visiting a certified service station.

Last edited by coors; 09-13-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

As Coors says, change the drier, take it to a garage particularly if you haven't got the right kit and they will pump it down, check for leaks, and re-carge it with R134. Job done in about 40 minutes, no waste, no guessing, and you get ice cold A/C for around $80.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:49 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt evacuate or put any oil simply disconnected the hoses and let the freon leak out until it stopped then changed the compressor. How do i put oil and where if its needed. It was running fine before i changed the conpressor . Also i bought my own tank so taking it to a shop kind of defeats the purpose of filling myself doesnt it?

Old 09-14-2015, 05:30 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I didnt evacuate or put any oil simply disconnected the hoses and let the freon leak out until it stopped then changed the compressor. How do i put oil and where if its needed. It was running fine before i changed the conpressor . Also i bought my own tank so taking it to a shop kind of defeats the purpose of filling myself doesnt it?
Oil is required to lube the system, compressor and seals. Freon is a very 'drying' gas.

If you have invested in a tank full of freon you've, IMO, wasted your $$$. You need a lot more kit. Do you not have Google and a computer?

Obviously you know best, your system, your choice.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:03 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

unless you own a vacuum pump and know how to use it bring your truck to a shop

Old 09-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Most of us on this forum want to do as much as we can ourselves with our trucks but as others have posted this is one case where you really need to take it to a shop and have the work done professionally by someone with the right equipment. Once your A/C system has been opened to the atmosphere you'll need a new receiver dryer and someone with the right equipment to install it and then vac and recharge the system.