Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the DII handle dirty fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Better yet a diesel Land Cruiser. Or maybe Offroad France could find a nice diesel DII where he lives, arrange the purchase, and ship it for you. In his spare time. For a small fee ...

If you are hell-bent to buy a petrol DII and ship it add an inline fuel filter. The DII fuel filter is integral to the fuel pump. I'd also live with it a couple of years to get the kinks worked out before shipping it, even one with only 50k on the clock. And even then you'd be playing with fire.

Are you sensing a theme here? You don't say where you live. You may not be in the U.S. And I see it's your first post so we should be gentle with you, but some of us struggle to keep our beloved DIIs on the road in the States. I'd rather not try in West Africa.

Good luck.

X1 .................. agreed.

I also like this idea

quote: In his spare time. For a small fee ... unquote:

Eeerr, what spare time ................. but the 'small or maybe not so small fee would be handy' .......... As you may or may not know, I'm in the process of installing a kitchen and renovating the same as this house is pretty old. And then I am in the process of a total engine rebuild on my Pajero 2.8TD, more or less everything from removing, cleaning and then the bottom up rebuild. Soooo, not too much spare time this year I guess

The other problem is finding a suitable LHD D2 TD5 in good shape, there are a few around but substantially more expensive than the V8 in the US as the TD5 in the UK is/was far more sought after than the V8 due to fuel prices mainly. Another problem is the transmission is exactly the same whether V8 or TD5 so it would need a good service and check over before venturing down into Africa.

In France I certainly wouldn't buy any used vehicle here, Germany maybe, but defo not after the French have 'mullered' it.