Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find the ECU of my LRD I

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:08 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find the ECU of my LRD I

I, ve been told that the problem I have with the ABS is the ECU, they have run several scans, and rhe only alarm is fron the ECU.

So I need to replace it, where is it located, I canīt find it, or I donīt know what I am loking for.
VIN = SALLJGMM4WA785301.

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Lets start over, what year is your truck?
What problems are you having?

Old 02-22-2009, 02:20 PM
5th Gear
Default ABS ECU problem

My truck is a 1998 model, the problem is that the ABS started working when he wanted, with no need to doit. you hit the breakes a slight one and you felt as if a wheel blocked and the truck suddenly turned to the side.

The garage guys scanned and found that the ECU was giving problems. I disconected the plug in control unit under the hood and never had any problem again.

the ABS light is always on.

Now I need to find where is the ECU to buy a new one and replace it. Some guys in UK offered one for 17 pounds, but they need my ECU serial to be sure is the same model. Where is it?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

I have the same problem with my DI but it is with the ABS wheel sensors.
I pulled the fuse from the under hood fuse box and just dont have ABS.
I do not know where the ABS ECU is located, I do not think that is your problem personally.
But I guess for that cheap you can try it and see.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:30 PM
5th Gear

I have discarded all the wheel sensors, in a land rover Dealer they charged me US$ 1000 por a front sensor, this was when i just bouhgt the truck, later I learned this sensor was below US$ 100. the light when off for a week, then again turned on, the dealer told this time was the rear sensor, I went for a second opinion, and they told me the sensors were dirty but working, what was giving wrong signals was the ECU.

So now I want to locate it.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The ECU for the ABS is self contained in the unit that you unplugged. The engine management ECU has nothing to do with the ABS. If they told you that it was an ECU problem, then they were likely talking about the onboard ECU on the ABS unit itself - (ie, you need to have that unit serviced or replaced) The unit you unplugged likely looks something like this : http://www.carclinicmagazine.com/lan...abs_pump_.html That unit has it's own 'ecu' built in.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

the ecu is located behind the glove box. it is not integrated into the abs modulator. it doesnt sound like that will be the fix though, more likely the modulator itself. i would try a bg power flush before spending much money on it, it sounds like you have some valves are sticking.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by roverguy7
the ecu is located behind the glove box. it is not integrated into the abs modulator. it doesnt sound like that will be the fix though, more likely the modulator itself. i would try a bg power flush before spending much money on it, it sounds like you have some valves are sticking.
So, you suggest remove the modulator and give it a big flush, like cleaning, and then plug it again and try how the system works.

I will try this and let you know if it worked.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Team Owner

No what he means is to flush the entire brake system with new brake fluid.
If the ABS modulator is bad then just forget it, they are about $1500 US.
The ABS modulator is the big shiny silver thing under the hood with all the brake lines coming out of it.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

exactly spike. my shop has a BG power flusher, that pushes pressurized fluid through the system, and you can set it up to reverse flush the system too. ive seen it fix a number of strange problems like this just by it cleaning up the valves, just fluching the fluid so you have new stuuf in there really wont help you much, take it in somewhere that can do a bg flush and give it a shot, hundred bucks or so which is nothing compared to just replacing it... and as a rover tech, i cant suggest disconnecting the abs, but it would be a cheap easy fix

Quick Reply: How to find the ECU of my LRD I