Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Get the Rave on Your iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortTom
So I thought it would be handy to have the Rave on my iPhone and while it's not a super complicated procedure, I figured I'd share anyway. If this has been posted before I apologize. A variation of this procedure will also work on Andriod phones, though I don't have one to test it.

Note: you'll want to do all of the following while connected to wifi or it will take forever.

UDPATE NOTE: the app downloads the actual pdf file to your iPhone, so it's reading it natively. That means you can access the Rave in Airplane mode (I checked) or while stranded in a tropical forest with an overheated Rover like the guys in Top Gear. FTW!

1. Download the Rave manual to your computer. There are multiple sources, but I love Josh's site so go there: RAVE Manual - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.

2. Open the Rave folder that you downloaded earlier. You really shouldn't need to put the whole thing on your iPhone (its slow and doesn't handle the PDF folder references right), so I found it best to find just the D2 manual pdf file, which you can find here (starting with your the rave folder on your computer):

\rave\pdf\lt\wmlt016n.pdf.

You might want to pull it out on your desktop or something to make it easier to get to later.

3. Ok, now go to the App Store on our iPhone and download PerfectReader Mini. It's free and awesome. You'll see. If you want to download it via iTunes here's the link: PerfectReader Mini (PDF Reader for everyone) for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

4. Once downloaded, open PerfectReader on your phone, and click the little wifi symbol on top. It'll show you this window:

Go to the address it shows on your computer, and browse/upload the wmlt016n.pdf file. NOTE: do not close your app window while uploading. You'll see the app window text indicate the upload progress of the file, and it'll also show you when it's done. Here's what the site looks like:

5. When it's done, tap back on your phone and you should see the thumbnail of the pdf sitting on your "bookshelf". Open it and let the awesomeness begin...

- K, right off the bat realize that this doesn't scroll like a pdf usually does, you have to flip the pages back and forth. It takes a second to get used to (I still found myself wanting to scroll), but it's not bad when you get used to it. Single tapping on the left and right to flip pages is easiest.

- Search function is really nice on this app. It brings up a list of results with each corresponding page and when you click over to it, it highlights the search term. Nice.

-Oh btw. All the links from the menus in the pdf work perfectly.

- You can bookmark the pages you need to go back to, just tap the little ribbon at the bottom right on any page you want to bookmark. Then tap the bottom left box icon (which brings up the table of contents) and slide to the right to access all your bookmarks.

- You can also have pages read to you in a funky computer voice, which is mostly useless but cool nonetheless. Just hit the top "T" icon on any page, and after the page loads hit the bubble on the bottom to start playing.

Anyway, this post got a little more out of hand than I intended...basically you have a way to access your rave manual on the go now. Hope that's useful.
I tried to follow the procedure but when I went to the rave/pdf folder there was no "lt" file, only ld, lim, or lp.

?????

Old 08-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I've found that on the iPhone PDF's can be saved and viewed in iBooks. Just drag and drop any PDF file, including the RAVE, into Books in iTunes. The next time you sync your phone it will save it. Open the iBooks app library, hit PDF, and there you go. Just another option for the iPhone. It has saved me quite a few times, especially at the salvage yard.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Overlanding

I have been using iAnnotate PDF. It has all the features that make going through the RAVE pretty efficient. It searches, annotates, extracts pages and bookmarks. It also converts web pages to PDF which I find extremely useful.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI,
I have it on the iPad... very nice to have.
do like the search feature within the RAVE when using it on the macbook pro.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Overlanding

Ahh I should have paid more attention to the title. iAnnotate doesn't have an iPhone App, I use it on my iPad as well. But PDF Reader Pro by YUYAO is a good one that does have a search feature and does work on both iPhone and iPad.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:37 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 doesn’t work. #3 the app is not available anymore

Old 02-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I wish could have the RAVE in a thumb drive that can be read at the phone microUSB port, together with the reader program if needed. But know too little about phones, fancy or generic and their capabilities.
I keep a CD with the manuals and more data in the glove box.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Externet
I wish could have the RAVE in a thumb drive that can be read at the phone microUSB port, together with the reader program if needed. But know too little about phones, fancy or generic and their capabilities.
I keep a CD with the manuals and more data in the glove box.
I followed the instructions and was unable to download the RAVE manual to my iPhone 6S Plus

Old 02-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I would suggest bumping over to android for your phone if possible.

I have a note 8. Coupled with the usb dongle you can jump into desktop mode, hook up printers, mice, keyboards, projectors and external harddrives.

I was an iphone guy for 6 years and when i spent an hour at the att store using a note 5 i realized that i was no longer an iPhone person. Their apps are very limited in options, dont offer much versatility. I have a note 8 now which I feel is even better.

I have almost 300 gigs on my phone, the whole entire manual and can use all functions just like a computer, print pages I need, even put it on the wall, I can also add notes to pages if I want.

I still have the bluetooth options as well also but frankly dont use bt much.

again, just my opinion and experience.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
I would suggest bumping over to android for your phone if possible.

I have a note 8. Coupled with the usb dongle you can jump into desktop mode, hook up printers, mice, keyboards, projectors and external harddrives.

I was an iphone guy for 6 years and when i spent an hour at the att store using a note 5 i realized that i was no longer an iPhone person. Their apps are very limited in options, dont offer much versatility. I have a note 8 now which I feel is even better.

I have almost 300 gigs on my phone, the whole entire manual and can use all functions just like a computer, print pages I need, even put it on the wall, I can also add notes to pages if I want.

I still have the bluetooth options as well also but frankly dont use bt much.

again, just my opinion and experience.
thanks. I’ve often thought about switching to a droid phone. I still don’t know why the RAVE would download

Quick Reply: How to Get the Rave on Your iPhone