Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is adding ACE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is adding ACE?

Hi all. I'm a car enthusiast who has been looking for an '04 Discovery for a while now. I'm finding that getting an SE7 or an HSE7 with low miles and all the options I want is a bit of a trick. I've found a beautiful HSE7 that has everything I want but ACE. I've been looking for resources about installing ACE on a non-ACE vehicle but haven't gotten a straight answer. So, here's the question:

Is adding ACE a bolt-on system? Do I need to drill the frame or weld on mounts to install ACE? If I can just gather up the parts, bolt them on, put in the hydraulic lines, wire up the sensors, and enable ACE in the SLABS unit, then I'll probably pull the trigger on this car, but I want to be sure first.

Thanks for the help

Eamon

Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Why?

The cost to add ACE maybe close to the cost of the truck if you were to get new plus the programing

Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Plus adding certain parts you might be just a small bit off, and the factory program would not adapt to it, such as you deciding where to exactly mount one of the accelerometers, etc. Lots of things for inputs, which are then calculated for the outputs that drive the hydraulics. Just buy a truck with it.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I have ACE on my truck and wouldn't ever part with it. That being said, you would have to tear half the truck apart to install the sensors, plumbing and rams, probably $3000 plus.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Overlanding

Hmmm, maybe I'll continue the waiting game. I just haven't been able to find one with ACE, except the one that had it removed and had the leaky rams shoddily held in place with tow straps. Oh well, thanks for the info.

Eamon

Old 02-23-2013, 11:13 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I wanted to add the ACE to my 04 Disco to! But dont have the $$$$ nor the resources to perform the job sighhhh but Im glad to see someone else who thinks as far out of the box as I do! Love my Disco but the lack of ACE and SLS makes me want something else.... like a LR3!

Good luck friend and if your hell bent on having the ACE system, save your pennies until you find a rare 2004 ACE equipped Disco! Good luck and good hunting.

PS: and remember that the best way to determine if a Disco has the ACE is to look under the hood at the power steering reservoir. If the reservoir has 2 black caps on top then its ACE equipped, if only 1 cap then no ACE. Also beware of owners who may have disabled the ACE on their trucks! They do crap like that all the time, like they do with the SLS. Strip the Disco of its integrity..... sighhh

Last edited by TRIARII; 02-23-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't call it "stripping it of it's integrity." Some people just want an easier, simpler truck to work on with fewer fancy bits so they don't have to worry about more things going bad.

I don't mind fixing my fancy bits

Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I wanted to add the ACE to my 04 Disco to! But dont have the $$$$ nor the resources to perform the job sighhhh but Im glad to see someone else who thinks as far out of the box as I do!

Adding ACE is thinking outside of the box? Since when?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
Adding ACE is thinking outside of the box? Since when?
I think he means it's outside the box because no one else would try it. Because it's insane.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it has been done and by a member on this very site, I remember seeing and his bio and asking if he has realy added ACE or it was a typo. he told me it was no typo at all he had added it from a totaled DII.

Quick Reply: How hard is adding ACE?