Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I got an SD rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I got an SD rack

To start the story, I wasn't even looking for a rack. I figured it was something I might get a year or two down the road, even though I really wanted one. Nathaniel, the seller of the rack, lives about 20 miles south of me. About 3 weeks ago he mentioned (on DWeb) that he just acquired an SD rack. I sent him a PM asking where he got it since I have NEVER seen an SD for sale in the Bay Area over the past 14 months of being in the Rover community. He replied saying he found a D2 listing on craigslist with a roof rack. He contacted the seller and was able to buy the just the rack (sorry Spike!!). Fast forward 2 weeks, Friday night, I'm with 2 other friends cruzing to Santa Cruz for a surf n' camp trip when I point out a G4 with an SD rack on it.

I tell my buddies that is the type of rack I want to get eventually. We "caravaned" for about 3 miles till I turned off to Hwy 1. Back home Sunday afternoon ~4, I start catching up on the forums. I see Nathaniel has posted his SD rack for sale, and ek5usmc had already replied. Damn. Eventually I notice there's a pm in my inbox (DWeb doesn't have a pop-up notification). It's from Nathaniel, and he remembered me asking about his SD rack a few weeks prioir and has offered me first dibs on the rack!!! I was floored. All of a suuden I have an SD rack ready to be delivered to me! The problem was it was now Monday, he was available that night or Friday (out of town for Thanksgiving the rest of the time), and he is going cross country to Boston on Monday. He bought the rack for the trip, but later determined the loss of mpg wasn't worth it for the length of the trip. I had to act quickly if it was going to happen.

I was able to get the money in order, and set to meet him Friday afternoon. When he pulls into the garage I see he drives a G4. Cool. During the install we were talking, and I mentioned seeing a G4 last Friday night on my way to Santa Cruz and he asked if I had a bunch of surfboards on top of my truck. You guessed it. That G4 we saw on Friday was the same G4 that was in my garage!! We both looked at each other with a look of "whoa" on our faces and determined it was meant to be. Sometimes the gears of the universe just mesh perfectly together.

I have plans to use the FarmTek chicken coop flooring on the rack. It looks like it may have been caught under a garage door because there's a small bend in the top rails. There are a couple of rust spots that need a little wire brush action and paint, like most SD's out there.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: How I got an SD rack

All I can say is YOU SUCK!

That is a great story, I drive past this black DI that was for sale when I was looking for mine, SD rack, ladder, brush bar but he wanted to much for it.
It is his daily driver, he owns a import repair/used car lot. He specializes in LR's and VW's.
I havent bugged him in awhile...maybe its time to poke my head in again.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a post from 2 days ago in the Denver craigslist of someone selling a SD rack for a D2. He had it mounted on a D1 and looks okay on his truck but wouldn't do that to my D1. Don't know if it is still available but thought I would pass it along in case someone is interested.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/936673798.html

Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Three Wheeling

What's the allure of an SD rack?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Oh man...Safety Devices roof racks are the brand that was used on the Camel Throphy trucks.
Go to youtube and search Camel Throphy, watch any of them, the Siberian one is one of my favorites.
Watch the whole thing. Watch them all.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got super lucky and found an XD edition disco (wasnt even looking for a rover, i wanted a tacoma) mine came with the sd rack and the rear light guards, skid plates for front and gas tank and a couple other bits... sadly one of the PO's had removed the front brushguard so i dont have that, but i am just gonna build a new bumber/brushguard...

Old 11-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but the real question is, did you score decent surf on your recent trip?

Post picks with boards racked too!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Oh man...Safety Devices roof racks are the brand that was used on the Camel Throphy trucks.
Go to youtube and search Camel Throphy, watch any of them, the Siberian one is one of my favorites.
Watch the whole thing. Watch them all.
Already watched 'em. Twice.

So getting the SD roof rack is more about having a Disco like the ones used in Camel Trophy... Is the SD rack superior to other racks available? Is the SD rack still available?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So getting the SD roof rack is more about having a Disco like the ones used in Camel Trophy... Is the SD rack superior to other racks available? Is the SD rack still available?
They were used in the camel trophy as spike said, how ever they were not mounted on the gutters, they were mounted to the rollcage through the roof.

When the G4 challenge started, they were on the Disco 2's then and are just like what you see in D2guy's piccy. How ever, the G4 disco's did not have sunroof or roof rails, so the racks sit even closer to the roof line, to continue to use sunroofs etc, SD made a "high" verison to go over factory rails and still enable sunroof usage, just like D2guys.

There are more "practical" racks out there depending on what you want to do, but imo the SD racks that hug the roof line just look far superior than any of the others out there.

They are not available anymore made by Safety Devices, But there is a few companies who make "copies" like http://www.roverracks.com/VoyagerRacks.htmI have heard both good and bad reports on them, if it was practical to ship one over here, I would have bought one a long time ago.

Nice one D2guy, I would normally be as Jealous as Spike , But I finally completed Disco mission numero uno and got one for mine to !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippeeeeeee!!!, this is all assuming the sellar does not relent on the deal . Should be on by next weekend

Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Sweet UP. In some form or another SD is back in business. They sent out a pdf a few months ago, but their prices on the few racks they had for D2 was over $1500 I think. RoverRacks comes pretty close to the SD design, but not all the way. It pretty easy to distinguish an SD rack (in person) because there is an allen bolt that screws straight up into each foot between the 1/2" bolts. My board just fits on top of the rack. It's an 8'2" hybrid and the rack is about 7'6" long. I still need to get the flooring on it, then I will start test loading with my camping gear. For those looking to get a roof rack you must be aware of the increase chance of a roll over with extra weight loaded on the rack. My plan is to only load sleeping bags, sleeping pads, folding chairs and any other light weight equipment on the rack.

Quick Reply: How I got an SD rack