Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: Keep your fog lamps from turning off when your turn on your high-beams.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The issue is that if you're driving fast enough that you need to see far down the road, there's no way you're going to be able to react in time when you see something on the side of the road (if you have to have fogs on to see it) to avoid hitting it.
Also, if you have really bright foreground lighting, your eyes will adjust to that, because it's brighter/closer and reduce your ability to see in the distance, where you really need it.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and what if your going SLOW, or aren't even in the vehicle. I still think it has applications, but i'll agree that it isn't needed for highway driving.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Baja

If you're going slow why would you need your high beams?

Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
If you're going slow why would you need your high beams?
Something tells me you don't get much snow by you in Georgia!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:02 AM
Baja

When it's snowing it's stupid to drive with high beams on. Fogs and low beams, or just fogs in really heavy snowfall.
Just because I live in GA now, doesn't mean I always have.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
When it's snowing it's stupid to drive with high beams on. Fogs and low beams, or just fogs in really heavy snowfall.
Just because I live in GA now, doesn't mean I always have.
It's illegal to drive with just fogs on, and even if it was not these are far too weak for that to happen. I don't want to drive 5MPH.
On back roads, the more light the better for oncoming cars to see you, and to also see far enough ahead. Highs cut through just fine. Even the aux lights cut through nicely. Depends on where you focus. Granted, maybe that style is not for everyone, but it works for me, and I do a hell of a lot of snow driving.
Now granted, high beams will reflect off rain/snow/fog more, but I'm not saying to use them during dense fog advisories. But, if you are an experianced driver in adverse conditions, it could be helpful. Here is 2" per hour snowfall rates with my high beams plus fogs. Allows you to view what is needed.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Baja

Well, if we're talking legality, in most states it's illegal to drive with fogs and high beams.
There were instances when I lived in Vermont when the weather was so bad that fogs alone was almost too bright.
But in any case, my point is that if you're driving fast enough to need high beams to avoid something or stay on track, then it's too fast to avoid anything that needs fogs to illuminate it and in fact will reduce your actual ability (not the perceived ability) to see further down the road because of the way the human eye responds to light at night. This is, of course, assuming the fogs are aimed correctly.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Three Wheeling

wheres the rolls eyes smiley? this is silly to continue to argue about . . . don't do the mod if you don't see an application for it.

The following users liked this post:
Killerkaw (09-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by echomike
wheres the rolls eyes smiley? this is silly to continue to argue about . . . don't do the mod if you don't see an application for it.
Thanks echomike. My thoughts exactly. I was just trying to share some wiring info, not start a religious debate about lighting.

To each there own I say. If you want fogs+high beams, then this post might be helpful. If you don't, go do something cool to your truck and post about it instead of badgering people on here.

The following users liked this post:
Killerkaw (09-13-2023)
Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post Max!

This is exactly what I was looking for. Has only one tried this on a Disco I?

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Keep your fog lamps from turning off when your turn on your high-beams.