Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many gallons is my gas tank??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how many gallons is my gas tank??

jeeeeeeez mike
I never said i spent spent many hours on this engine. i have read a manual that i borrowed but come on i asked on tthis forum in august and in september where to get a manual. And just got an answer last night. Does the disco come with a lack of grease fittings?? how do i know that its time to have the front drive shaft inspected??

Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Dealers have manuals, so does Atlantic British.
Sorry about jumping your case, I have been hit with 3 other people calling this morning, one couldn't even figure where to put oil in the engine.
Seriously though, you need to spend a lot of time getting familiar with your truck, otherwise you will be paying dearly for service and repairs.
Take a flash light, crawl under the front of your truck and look where the front drive shaft hooks to the t/case, you'll see 2 u-joints inside that assembly, see if they have grease fittings, if not you need to replace them ASAP, the usual repair cost when the drive shaft fails is around $7000.
Find a small shop, not the dealer and have them replace the u-joints with new ones that have grease fittings.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Three Wheeling

I normally get around 325 to the tank when I am driving my rover. That is all highway pretty much because I dont drive in the city out here in Salt Lake. On sunday I managed to sneek out with 375 before the warning light came on. So it all depends really on where you get gas and how you drive.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

No more warning lights or you will burn out that near$500 fuel pump.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Mudding

I had a question regarding this topic..... In the manual it says that the gas tank is 25 gallons however if I run the truck all the way down till the light goes on and then fill it up it will only take about 20 gallons. I understand that there still is gas in the truck when the light goes on but is there really 5 gallons left? Just wondering. Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When the low fuel light come on it means that you are now on reserve fuel. And depending on how the low fuel sensor is adjusted it can come on when 5 gal left or 1 gal left.
I had a Infiniti I30 and when the low fuel light came on I had only about 1 gal of fuel left. Found that out the hard way.
I generally dont run below a 1/4 tank just because I dont want to be looking for gas when I am running on fumes.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Mudding

Ok i crawled... and i saw the T-case is caked with oil!the joint closer to the t-caseof the u joints had grease on the bolts the one in the very front end of the front drive shaft looks bone dry. Should I go to the mechanics like now?

Old 01-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Might want to get a can of degreaser and spray it down at the car wash before going. If it is clean, they might be more inclined to help you out...

Look for a driveline or tranny shop, not all car places will do u-joints, especially the double cardan..

Oh, by the way, For all other onhere, if you are interested, I looked up the proper spelling of cardan. I have seen it spelled several ways on here. The theory of the universal joint was first proposed to be used for transmitting motive power by an Italian mathmetician named Gerolamo Cardano in 1545. Hence, the name cardan joint.

There's your piece of history for the day...

Old 01-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Mudding

damn damn this looks bad [][][]

Quick Reply: how many gallons is my gas tank??