Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much$$$$ to get plugs and wires changed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how much$$$$ to get plugs and wires changed

I'm getting my plugs and wires changed at a local Indy shop and I'm trying to ball park estimate how much its gonna cost. Also I'm gonna have them change my valve cover gaskets and do a compression test and fuel pump test. I know I should just muscle up and change everything myself but I would rather put a dent in my tax refund instead of my knuckles. Anyone have these done or know around how much it will cost. Indy shop is around $60 an hour.

Thanks all

Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by jhill15
I'm getting my plugs and wires changed at a local Indy shop and I'm trying to ball park estimate how much its gonna cost. Also I'm gonna have them change my valve cover gaskets and do a compression test and fuel pump test. I know I should just muscle up and change everything myself but I would rather put a dent in my tax refund instead of my knuckles. Anyone have these done or know around how much it will cost. Indy shop is around $60 an hour.

Thanks all
Ask them for an estimate before they do it, if they won't give you one, run away.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Book time for wires is 3 hours, with valve cover gasket, spark plugs would say 4.5 hours total would be fair. You will need a couple of breather hoses that will break when the manifold comes off. Make sure they high quality spark plug wires and valve cover gaskets! 60 per hour is a fair labor rate. My shop in San Diego were 107.50 per hour. CA is not cheap to due bussiness in.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Mudding

My shop charges $95/hr here in Utah.

60 an hour is a good rate considering they do quality work.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it yourself, all that is pretty simple to do. I would just have them do the compression test. Im sure they will charge you at least $500.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How many miles on the engine, why a compression and fuel pressure test? How's wires are you going to have them install?
You should be doing this yourself for around $200 or less, think about it.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
How many miles on the engine, why a compression and fuel pressure test? How's wires are you going to have them install?
You should be doing this yourself for around $200 or less, think about it.
152,000 on truck. I'm gonna have them do a compression test because of recent codes 0300 and 0306. Fuel pressure test savannah suggested because the I.m. will be off and they can reach ports that they couldn't if I.m. was on. Your right I should be doing this myself and I may end up doing it, I just don't want to be out in 30° weather for several hours and reach a point that I may get stuck or screw something up. What do ya think should I just make it in or take on the job. You guys are the best help when we get stuck and can't figure out what to do and I trust your expertise
thanks mike

Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Working on a vehicle when it is that cold sucks. If they charge you 4.5 hours at $60.00 is $270.00 how much is your time worth?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Isn't fuel pressure just a schrader valve on the fuel rail? It's not any harder than checking tire pressure.

As a precaution, do it on a cold motor, put down a rag to absorb any spilled fuel, wear gloves and safety glasses or a face shield, and have a fire extinguisher ready. When I did it, I didn't spill more than a drop but it's better to be safe than sorry.

You might have to service your tire pressure gauge afterward, so use a cheap dial-type gauge or plan on disassembling it to get the fuel out. Or you can get a fuel pressure gauge if you want to check often.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clanch
My shop in San Diego were 107.50 per hour.
Originally Posted by 909wheeler
My shop charges $95/hr here in Utah.
My Indy LR mech charges $75/HR

Quick Reply: how much$$$$ to get plugs and wires changed