Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much room for Childs Car Seat in 2004 DISCO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much room for Childs Car Seat in 2004 DISCO?

Have a bouncing baby boy on the way and an M3 is not conducive to a baby. Rather than sell my car, I wanted to join the legion of DISCO owners. However, I do not know if there is room for a baby seat? I am ready to pull the trigger on a 2004 SE, but I dont have any idea how, or how well a childs car seat will fit. Any advice or experience would be appreciated. I dont want to have buyers regret if I can cram the seat easily back there, or better put, if my wife cant

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Mudding

Works fine in mine. It is not as roomy and easy to get him in and out as our tahoe, but it works fine. I guess I'm not the best to respond because he regularly rides in my defender and my vette also and I have no problems with getting him in there.

Don't make the same mistake as me. I bought a kid friendly car prior to his birth. I hated it and sold it three months later. If you do some research, you will find that your child can ride legally in almost anything. Then you can make you own choice on politics as far as assumed safety and the publics view on your choice in our current PC world.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

You have plenty room for a car seat. The only hard part for me is that I'm short. The car seat and the height of the disco makes its sometimes hard for me depending how I park. Anyway, kids love the discovery because they can see a lot of view from the back seats.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Overlanding

I put mine in the middle and have really no problems. The car seat i have is kind of large and it does encroach on the room of any other passangers in the back, think obese person in middle seat on an airplane. Only other problem that really bothers me is he constantly putting his shoes on the back of the seats, because they are fairly close and his legs are not long enough to fully bend over the edge of the seat.

Overall i would say not bad i could really careless how comfertable people in the back are and i just take his shoes off.

Nick

Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well as a father of three, a 17 yr old, 7 yr old and a 15 month old I can tell you that with a DI, which is smaller than a DII, it is a tight fit with all three kids in the back.
The truck sits higher than a car, so if you are like my wife and I (vertically challenged) you will have a hard time putting the baby in the truck.
Have you bought your car seat yet?
If so take it to the dealer lot with you and buckle it in.
Also take the stroller if you have bought one.
I can tell you this, with my sons forward facing car seat he can put his feet on the back of my seat (we have seat back protectors in both cars)
In the cargo area we can fit the Pack-N-Play, stroller, diaper bag, 4 suitcases, duffle bag and a couple other small bags.
The DII is bigger, did I mention that?
As much as I love Discoveries, I would recommend a Volvo station wagon for your family car and a LR for the second car.
It will be much easier to get your child in and out of the car, get better MPG and be just as safe.
We have a 850 turbo wagon as the family car and the LR as the second car.
My best advice is going to be to take the truck to the store and try different car seats to see how well they fit before you buy the truck.
And then load 20lbs into the car seat and see how easy it is to lift that into and out of the back seat.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Model M3 do you have? I have an E30. I can see how tight it would be though. I'm sure your boy likes the ride in it when daddy hits the gas!!

Last edited by Mtree; 02-23-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nfoster187
I put mine in the middle and have really no problems. The car seat i have is kind of large and it does encroach on the room of any other passangers in the back, think obese person in middle seat on an airplane. Only other problem that really bothers me is he constantly putting his shoes on the back of the seats, because they are fairly close and his legs are not long enough to fully bend over the edge of the seat.

Overall i would say not bad i could really careless how comfertable people in the back are and i just take his shoes off.

Nick

Go to Babies-R-Us and they have a vast assortment of seat covers, we have the ones that go over the backs of the front seats so that the kids dont put their muddy or snow covered shoes/boots on the leather, we also have a seat cover that goes under the car seat to protect the leather, does not work well with our car seat, the base is to large.
When you have kids seat covers are a must.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for all the good advice. I may not have mentioned it, but this is our first and only tike and is on the way, so I cant do any real dry runs with car seats etc. yet. Just trying to convince my self this third car is for the baby and not me

Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by volavet@yahoo.com
Thanks for all the good advice. I may not have mentioned it, but this is our first and only tike and is on the way, so I cant do any real dry runs with car seats etc. yet. Just trying to convince my self this third car is for the baby and not me
totally understand. The wifes tahoe and my discovery are both extra cars just for the one and only little guy.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Mudding

I know my 2004 has LATCH anchors in between the seat cushions, and one on the back of the seat. That way you don't have to deal with tying to use the seat belts to secure a seat. It's supposedly much easier to get the seats in and out, although I don't have kids, so i don't really know.

Quick Reply: How much room for Childs Car Seat in 2004 DISCO?