Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should U

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023 | 03:38 PM
|
Rock Crawling

And also weed whacking my way to her shed - which is probably half a day worth of work

The following 2 users liked this post by miron:
Richard Gallant (10-29-2023), Roont (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023 | 05:38 PM
TReK

Half a day of weed whacking, plus the cost of a tow sounds like a great deal.

Old 10-30-2023 | 08:44 AM
Mudding

I paid $400 for mine. Not running, engine condition unknown and no keys. Cats were known missing. And the inside of mine was pretty rough.

Old 10-30-2023 | 11:14 AM
|
Rock Crawling

So really, why I'm asking is because the disco I currently own cost me $500. It had a blown head gasket (to the outside), a busted master cylinder, 4 Amigos, seized brake calipers, absolutely clapped-out suspension, and was leaking all possible fluids from every possible seal and gasket. BUT it was running (so to speak), so I knew I could fix it. (and they put new tires on it, out of all possible fixes, lol). This one could be looking great, but not being able to check the drive train it can end up a parts car... which I'd hate to be the one scrapping it...these cars are too cool to see another one bite the dust. I guess I will just have to find out the hard way...

Old 10-30-2023 | 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by miron
So really, why I'm asking is because the disco I currently own cost me $500. It had a blown head gasket (to the outside), a busted master cylinder, 4 Amigos, seized brake calipers, absolutely clapped-out suspension, and was leaking all possible fluids from every possible seal and gasket. BUT it was running (so to speak), so I knew I could fix it. (and they put new tires on it, out of all possible fixes, lol). This one could be looking great, but not being able to check the drive train it can end up a parts car... which I'd hate to be the one scrapping it...these cars are too cool to see another one bite the dust. I guess I will just have to find out the hard way...
Id go into it with as little money as possible. Most people let these Land Rovers fall into disrepair, then the average Joe can't afford to pay a mechanic to fix everything wrong with it.... so they get parked.

I put together one Disco 2 that had a ton of little things wrong, front wheel bearings, ABS pump issues, cracked windshield, rear door glass missing, a few broken window regulators, broken head light, broken factory stereo, broken drivers side mirror assembly, broke door locks, oil pump and timing chain shot, misc broken interior items, and yes a leaky head gasket, and it was a ton of work, by the time I got done (these are just off the top of my head, there was more wrong)..Ohhh yeah title issues too that took a few months to get straightened out.....I barely sold it for what I had into it, pretty much a waste of time to bring it back from the almost dead...BUT I do see it drive past my place about once a week! Its a runner and it's cool. So whenever I see a disco that needs some work, and the owner doesn't really know much about it.....I run.

Old 10-30-2023 | 05:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by miron
I went and had a closer look at the car today. For starters i thought it's pale green, but it turns out it is combo of moss over BABY BLUE - what a random color for a Disco.
The much sought after "Icelandic Blue!" Might be worth picking up just for that...

Old 10-30-2023 | 05:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Whatever you pay for it, or don't pay for it, I'll applaud you for keeping another DII from the crusher.

The following 2 users liked this post by mln01:
Dervish (10-30-2023), Wheelspin (11-23-2023)
Old 10-30-2023 | 05:17 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Icelandic blue!! Well that does sound like an adventure vehicle worthy of a color . In person it looks a little silly though

Old 11-05-2023 | 06:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If the interior is in good shape, it looks like some ancillaries are functional, it has a decent spec overall, and has a rare color? I’d go for it assuming you have the tools, time, and patience get it going. I’d expect to have to pull the engine and have probably a couple grand in parts in addition to whatever you needed to do to get the engine going.

As for a fair price? I’d ask them first if they had an idea of a ballpark. If it was above $2k, nope. Under $2k, I’d raise an eyebrow…

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (11-05-2023)
Old 11-10-2023 | 04:37 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Well, whatever it turns out to be it's getting towed in on the 20th... time will tell. Just need to go get 20 gallons of evaporust and purple shine to even see what's wrong with it. Also random question: this is a '03, so it has the plastic headlams. Is there any way to revert the "updated" look to the glass headlights?

Quick Reply: How much should U